This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Kola and learning

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    fieryred1

In terms of accommodating different learning styles in to teaching and learning practice I tend to look at providing a variety of different ways of presenting information, providing interaction/ activities and trying to accommodate and change things to suit the audience. Basing this on audience interaction and feedback. Various technologies assist me with this, this includes the very basic thing of getting students to write or draw or type. In terms of presentation computers and open source and social software definitely help.
    Tools and the diagram
    Concrete experience – I found it difficult to put something into this category I’m hoping others may have something?

Reflective observation – video,audio,images, any sort of social network that shows all of these

Abstract conceptualisation – forums, WordPress/blogging, Pinterest, Facebook, twitter

Active Experimentation – quiz software, second life, interactive games and animated exercises such as a model of a machine where you have to make the machine work by moving elements around

I’d put classroom clickers into abstract conceptualisation

In terms of my own learning I actually found I don’ t fit into any of the style areas as it depends upon how the information is presented to me and how I process it as to how I react and learning. If its an emotive video about a medical case study I might ‘feel’ first. If I read a description of the same scenario without the drama just stating the facts of the case I might ‘think’ first. The ‘active’ doing might only occur when encountering the same scenario in life so I might not know if I have retained any information even though I might have practiced a ‘fake’ setup. For example a first aid course, a practice patient does not usually bleed or groan with pain. Presenting the information as emotive and descriptive may help but does not therefore fit into the circular notion of the theory.

Sandra
    Fiery Red

Jillian Pawlyn
    Participant

Hi Sandra, I totally agree with your comment.

I have added my thoughts to my blog, you can read it via this link 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Kola and learning’ is closed to new replies.