This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Comparing resources – Khan v Museum of Science+Industry Chicago

Home Forums Engaging and Effective Learning Materials (Week 4) Comparing resources (Activity 4.1) Comparing resources – Khan v Museum of Science+Industry Chicago

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ElizabethECharl
    Participant

I spent my time having a look at the “Beauty of algebra” in the Khan Academy and “Simple machines” from the Museum of Science & Industry Chicago.  Below is my first impressions of the two learning objects

What elements of these do you think are appealing to different kinds of learners?

Khan Academy:

That the approach to information is to provide it in small chunks. In this example the context was set with a quote providing a much wider social context, than just dry mathematics. It uses an  everyday situation to show how it can be applied (scaffolding) and then links through to how formula can be used in other disciplines not just mathematics. The similarity and relationships between these disciplines and the application of algebra is explicitly linked.  I am sure the same information could have been presented in a textbooks but the audio-visual presentation was easy to access and with the ability to pause and re-play it would be useful as a study skills/revision resource. It would appeal to the varied learning styles except for the physical/ kinaesthetic.

Museum of Science & Industry Chicago:

The simple cartoon premise and games would suggest very basic level of learning but that could be misleading, if it allows a complex theory to become accessible to the learner.  The bright colours used, the music, the mixture of text (instructions) and interactivity definitely broaden its appeal, making it an engaging and active rather than a passive learning activity.  The problem-based approach was straight-forward and once the individual tasks were completed an explanation of the applied theory of geometry and physics was provided and demonstrated.

What kinds of learners, if any, would they be inappropriate for and why?

Khan Academy:

This would not be appropriate for learners studying advanced algebra, assuming they have a sound grasps of the basic concepts. A learner looking for coursework examples to work through would not be best served by this.   It also would not be appropriate for learners looking for more advanced complex theory or looking for additional accompanying theoretical resources of wider/further reading and exercises.

Museum of Science & Industry Chicago:

If the learner preferred to read and reflect then this would not be suitable as there were very few opportunities to consider and process as it was full on engagement and interactivity.  Some learners might also consider that playing a game is not learning but this was a good example of applied geometry and physics being used in accessible and practical situation.

James Kerr
    Participant

I find the videos on Khan Academy to also illustrate cognitive apprenticeship; demonstrative, situated learning through imitation.  The videos also show insight into the thought processes needed for mathematical functions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Comparing resources – Khan v Museum of Science+Industry Chicago’ is closed to new replies.