This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Assessment

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    fieryred1

Three different assessment methods found in TEL Course:

Self Assessment Quiz
    – Easy to administer
    – Can be repeated several times by the student or restricted as necessary
    – May provide further detailed feedback
    – If all multiple choice may be completed correctly by accident
    – Suitable to large cohort
    – Once setup is transferable to different courses

Forum
    – Allows student to provide their thoughts in their own words
    – Allows students to reflect upon their own learning
    – May require a lot support depending upon structure, for example tutor time and support
    – May be difficult to quantify for assessment if students write large amounts of text.
    – Necessary to provide a framework (word limit, etc) to facilitate submissions to be manageable
    – May be difficult to capture and process all data
    – if not enough interaction then could be only self reflection with no tutor interaction. Effectively talking to your self

Case Study/Simulation of real life situation
    – A wide variety of materials may be required to facilitate the different experiences being transmitted to the students, for example multimedia
    – Feedback may include the scenario failing and the student may find this traumatic for example a medical situation where the patient dies as a result of in correct decisions
    – Feedback given by response of the case study/ simulator
    – Easy to repeat as necessary
    – Can provide a range of different ‘correct’ answers rather than one

Own course

Self Test Quiz
    – Allows students to see if they are learning and review the materials again if required
    – Feedback provides not only the answers but suggests further reading and suggests materials appropriate to level of knowledge
    – Method: online quiz which includes audio and video

Sandra
    Fiery Red

Jillian Pawlyn
    Participant

Hi Sandra,

Thanks for your posting, I agree with all you have written 🙂

I have flipped this one to “Three different experiences, one assessment method, one tool type'”- you can read about in my blog

Jillian

AngelaSmith

Apologies for the late response – but feedback and assessment are areas which are constantly niggling me as I feel there should be more we can do to engage our online learners.

Within our modules we tend to start off with the associative perspective in that activities are frequent, embedded within the materials  and are responded to by the tutor in the first instance to develop a two way relationship and for the tutor- lrearner to build rapport. As the units unfold, a more constructivist approach takes over withinquiry based tasks demanding individual but then collaborative working with a social constructivist slant becoming more dominant as group tasks  are introduced and peer review and peer feedback are embedded within the course structure.I’m not sure how far towards the situative approach we might venture but that’s probably down to the need to hand over the reins more fully to learner groups and at the moment the tutor often has their work cut out ensuring the collaborative activities are fruitful. This method of working doesn’t always suit learners, especially some of our international learners at the start of their journey in HE and as such we need to build confidence in the group that peer working really does develop knowledge understanding and skills. Watch this space!

Regards

Angela

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Assessment’ is closed to new replies.