This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Adult learning and digital literacy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Please see my post for submission for this entry here.

AliSheph

I think the point about sharing experiences good and bad is an interesting one, Elizabeth.  Picking up on what Helen Beetham was saying in the webinar – boundaries of what’s ‘allowed’ vs ‘not allowed’ are potentially problematic, or students might think they are.  I think the value of having someone in your role to facillitate this type of session, to create a safe space, rather than it being their lecturer who will assess their work, can’t be underestimated.

AliSheph
    ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Ali -Thank you for your feedback.

It is surprising to me how liberated and uninhibited adult learners become when told that it is okay to share experiences of when things didn’t work.  It is at these instances that I see a real breakthrough when other students suggest what might have helped and how they acquired their knowledge under similar circumstances.  I try to always begin these discussions with the following: “… even though you think your query/question may be too easy or silly please ask because you will be helping another person in the group who may not have the courage to ask or speak up.”  Having established this safe environment for them to do so, they then do not focus on their vulnerability but the fact they are helping somebody else in the group. My not being their lecturer/tutor whom they put in a position of authority, allows them to be honest without feeling it might have repercussions and or how they will be perceived having revealed this.

I added relevant new resources to Diigo  OCTEL group on diglit and adult learning.

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Ali – liked your blog on this subject and thought your review of both the Rheingold talk and JISC digital literacies project website was spot on.  I always feel that my one session with learners gives them some of the necessary skills and some attributes but as to how that is carried over into the rest of their module I am not sure. You might find the following resource that I have been curating of use at Information and Digital literacy .

Jillian Pawlyn
    Participant

Elizabeth I do like the scrabble letters image, this is something we value here in New Zealand. We have a concept ‘Ako‘  this means both to teach and to learn. It also encompasses reciprocal learning relationships and values learning from each other, so social and collaborative literacies are very important.

Hi Ali and Elizabeth, I enjoyed reading both your blogs.  You can read my contribution here 

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Jillian – thank you and for the new concept ‘Ako’.  I like the way you approached learner’s needs and in particular your own.  Helen’s questionnaire is spot on in the commentary section – it is good to see that it held with you as well.

Helen Crump
    Participant

Hello Ladies,

Just to say that I enjoyed reading this discussion thread and learning about the concept of ‘ako‘, which means both to teach and to learn. I was also glad to read about the related concept of ‘manaakitanga’, hospitality. Hospitality is a concept, or philosophy, that I’ve come across before and in my opinion is an important literacy to develop and design for in online learning environments. I wrote a blog about it at the start of the year, “Hospitality: a promising philosophy for designing online courses & fostering critical digital literacies”.

All interesting ideas for adult learning in a digital age, that’s for sure. Lots to think about. 🙂

Hospitality: a promising philosophy for designing online courses & fostering critical digital literacies #moocmooc

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Adult learning and digital literacy’ is closed to new replies.