This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree

Home Forums Induction ("Week 0") Small group reflection (Activity 0.5) 12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    doctorjen

Helloooo,

As this activity calls for a small group, and from what I can see most groups seem to be attracting people outside their defined ‘class’ I would like to be part of a group which embraces unfathomable diversity.

I work as an Academic Development officer for the Higher Education Academy – Arts and Humanities – teach for the OU on a blended learning level one arts module, am interested in elearning, digital literacies, digital humanities, any other shiny new pedagogical thing that crosses my path, and am a serial MOOC non-completer.

Our questions for this activity are:

What can we tell about the range of experiences and preferences among ocTEL participants?
    What challenges does this present for the course?
    In what ways is a MOOC well or poorly suited to these challenges?

Who’s in?

Jennie

Seems to me the more mixed-up we are the better we will be able to addresse them . . .

Sharmina

I’m in Jennie! I’m not sure if creating a group on those who teach history and modernity will generate much response, so I’m all for diversity! 2 down, 10 more to go!

doctorjen

Aces! 🙂

Gotta catch ’em all  . . .

Rich Goodman

Sounds like a plan! I’m in!

I’m a VLE Developer, E-Learning Manager, tutor, systems administrator, content creator, former e-mail system administrator, programmer, lecture capturer and many other things besides…

Rich

doctorjen

Hoorah! And then there were three . . .

SolentRoger

I hate being categorised, so I’m in.
    My first MOOC, here for the experience as much as anything.

I’m the Learning Technologies Development Manager at Southampton Solent University. First experience of TEL was at school learning about 4-stroke engines in 1983 on a commordore PET – green screen and terrible graphics. Have previously worked in children’s publishing authoring education games on floppy disk and CD-ROM and have produced a sea of courseware for various clients. Been at Solent for 11 years and have done a bit of teaching on our PGCLT alongside the day job and have recently worked on some OERs.

trish_oc

Hi Jennie,

Count me in too… first MOOC experience ;-))

Completed an online Masters in Software Engineering and since then have done my OU stint & am currently online facilitating Masters in IT online.. also doing module development for the e-audience in NUI Galway ( Ireland)

So I think I’m a bit of a mutt so definitely fit this group….

Woof!!

Trish

milliken

My name is David and I’d like to join a diverse group. I am a Media/English teacher at a boys school on the edge of London. My perspective is that TEL is a logical extension of Media Studies. As a whole, the subject is a little daunting so all learning and shared experience is welcome.  I am currently writng a dissertation based around ‘the use of technology to produce meaningful products  enables learning’

Rich Goodman

Go team!

dranners

Hi all, I consider myself to be a bit of a mongrel, so I’d like to join your group. I manage a TEL team at a small university in Yorkshire. Our roles are quite diverse and we get involved in all kinds of TEL related activities.

I’ve recently completed my MSc in e-Learning at Edinburgh but this is my first MOOC. As well as the general content, I’m interested in the whole process of how MOOCS are managed and organised.

Look forward to being a part of the team.

Ruth

Hello all

I’d like to join as well please.  I work at the University of Huddersfield delivering IT Training to staff, researchers and students.  I have no experience of any of this but am very interested to see how I might use it all as currently we’re very classroom based.  Always like learning new things and trying to find different ways to use it all!  This certainly seems like an interesting team – looking forward to it all!

doctorjen

ahoy there SolentRoger! Good to have you aboard Sir. 🙂

Your first experience of TEL sounds similar to mine, they converted a nice room in the school library (by nice I mean it had a carpet) and put computers in it – and hours typing >goto ensued. I don’t think we even got graphics, or maybe I didn’t get my gotos in the right order . . .

doctorjen

Woof! A big waggy tailed hello Trish. Sounds like you are a TEL hero with all your online work and study.

There’s an interesting question floating in one of the other threads – where are the boundaries between online learning on a massive scale and MOOCdom in terms of pedagogy . . .  or, when is a MOOC not a MOOC. Is it all about the openness or is it all about the connectivity? Or, are MOOCs just really bad elearning that we all tolerate because they’re free?

doctorjen

Hi David, great to have you in the group!

Rich Goodman

We had one computer at my primary school (the classic BBC Model B) and I quickly became the main operator of it. The rest, as they say, is history…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • The topic ‘12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree’ is closed to new replies.