This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree

Home Forums Induction ("Week 0") Small group reflection (Activity 0.5) 12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    doctorjen

Hi dranners, welcome to our mongrelly group – or muttley crew (sorry ;-)) I’m really interested in how MOOCS work, and how people make them work even if they shouldn’t and not work even if they should.

Also intrigued by xMOOC/cMOOC (think that’s it) distinctions. This one seems brilliantly chaotic so far, but nice forums make life easier, sure having a team will help even more.

doctorjen

Hi Ruth(?) – lots of creative arts at Huddersfield I think, so I guess online/distance/flexible is challenging?

Ruth

Hi – yes it’s Ruth (sorry – my profile picked up my twitter name).  Plenty of creative arts.  Until last year we’ve only offered our training to staff so training the student population is brand new to us.  We’re trying to find our way around and finding it all challenging at the moment!  Looking for better ways of passing information on rather than the traditional classroom setting which (so far, but will slowly change) the staff have been comfortable with.

ShunaMarr

Is there room for another mutt of indeterminate pedigree in this group? This one sounds like my kind of people.

I have come late to the party because I’ve been on hols the past week (Scottish Borders – good walking country if only it wasn’t so bloomin’ cold! So much for this ‘Siberian spring’ we are having 🙁

So, about me… I’m a lecturer in Tourism and Airline Management at Edinburgh Napier.  After working out in the ‘real world’ (haha! ;P) for many years, earning my daily crust in a variety of sectors, I then worked in FE for several years, before taking the plunge and doing my PhD at Stirling, which I completed 5 years ago. That was my ticket into HE and I’ve been there 5 years now. I have a PG Diploma teaching qualification and I’m going to be starting my BOE (Blended and Online Education) PG Cert this Autumn. I thought this course would be a good way to break myself into it (‘it’ being TEL-related things).

I’ve taught on online courses when I was at Stirling and we are big users of Moodle (and WebCT before it) at Napier, so I’m not scared of technology but I do admit to not having enough time to keep abreast of everything that’s possible.

Don’t know if these credentials get me into this group?

Shuna

SianKnapper

Hi everyone

As i prefer dogs to cats… I was drawn to this group!!

I’m a HE/FE lecturer and I coordinate ILM courses for Coleg Llandrillo (part of Grwp Llandrillo-Menai) I  also work with our workbased team in delivering framework qualifications as well as the stand alone vocational qualification.

I want to learn new things to incorporate in my teaching practice along the way 🙂

Hopefully you’ll let me join your group, I’m a wanna be pedigree!!!

Sian

philtubman
    Participant

yip yap, can i still join in the small group for mongrels?

PS hi SolentRoger!

doctorjen

Hi Shuna, welcome to the kennel 🙂 sounds like you’ve had a good long walk and now your ready to settle down with some nice elearning . . .

doctorjen

Hey Sian – no cats allowed, happy to have you in the mongrel team.

doctorjen

hi Phil – yup yap, you’re in!

ShunaMarr

Thanks! Looks like we just need one more to be  a pack 🙂 what will we discuss first? 🙂

doctorjen

Shall we go out and gather some intelligence on the range of experiences and preferences on the ocTEL mooc by nosing around the other threads on this forum? We could spy on a thread each (this is my inner spymaster asserting itself)?

My first impression is that most people on the MOOC have some experience of TEL – as learners or teachers, more often than not as both. They come from a variety of different discipline areas, and are as likely to think about textiles as technology. They define themselves primarily through their work – so perhaps we can assume they are always busy, and possibly always connected.

The early indignation about the deluge of emails from the JISClist also suggests that most participants are welded to their emails. The fact that the deluge existed could signify – what? That people are keen to connect; that people don’t mind inihilation by inbox; that people don’t use JISC; that the other communication mechanisms weren’t clearly signposted?

J

Rich Goodman

Must admit I was shocked by all of the “please take me off, I don’t want this” activity. Given that mailing lists have existed for over 20 years, my (it seems naive) assumption was that people knew all about them and how they worked by now. Perhaps my judgement was clouded by years of experience looking after a lists server with ~6,000 mailing lists on it.

However, people genuinely seem not to know how they work. Perhaps because it is a dying art with people tweeting instead? Or following RSS feeds. Or something else. But the fact that lots of people operated under the “a human reads all of these messages therefore I’ll ask them to take me off” principle (whilst replying to messages that contained instructions on how to carry out that task they wanted someone else to do just goes to show that assumptions are dangerous!

And every e-mail account that I’ve ever used has had some form of filtering on it (from hand coding my own .forward files back in the early days, to Exchange and GMail filters nowadays). So again, a lack of knowledge about these functions was surprising.

Perhaps the only non-surprise was that people had ticked a box on a sign up form without fully comprehending what that meant. Have you read all of the iTunes terms and conditions that you’ve clicked to say you have? Like the bit that says you can’t use it to make “nuclear missiles, chemical or biological weapons”? Of course you haven’t…

ScottJohnson

Having all sorts of interests was assessed by a writing teacher once as having a short attention span. That would be me. After 40 years in the building trades I currently work as an assistant instructional designer at a small college where we build vocational programs and am in the process of building a teacher training program that I am without qualification to administer beyond thinking I am.

School is the worst thing to happen to education but I keep coming back anyway just in case I missed something. Have 3 university credits in Connectivism taught in person by George Siemens. Have lost a number of arguments with Stephen Downes and am losing my job as of June 30 to cut-backs here in Alberta Canada.
    I offer this picture of Little Red Riding Hood negotiating terms with the wolf over a bit of Frisbee action that may not materialize.

http://www.medievalists.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Dore_ridinghood.jpg

Agree that there has been a lot of hand wringing over too many emails and wonder where people picked up the idea that things that don’t work for them are necessarily poorly designed. Can it be possible they are poorly suited to the task and buzz-off with their whining? What’s going to happen when these people are forced to confront change that is neither logical or nice?
    If you need more people I’m interested.
    Scott

doctorjen

Hi Scott, happy to welcome you to the group.

doctorjen

Right then gang, we have our 12, shall we continue the conversion here or decamp to some other space? What do you reckon?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • The topic ‘12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree’ is closed to new replies.