This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree

Home Forums Induction ("Week 0") Small group reflection (Activity 0.5) 12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    doctorjen

Happy to move to Moodle or FB. Slightly prefer Moodle  – if that’s not too much hassle for you to set up SolentRoger?

J

SolentRoger

OK, will set up a Moodle space and see how it goes. It’s all an experiment!

Drop me an email roger.emery@solent.ac.uk with your preferred username (lower case alphanumeric only, no special characters please) and I’ll return a password and instructions to get started.

Roger

ScottJohnson

Moodle or Facebook is fine with me–especially for discussions with many tracks. Have tried both in MOOCs and the most heavily used was Moodle which drove the organizers crazy as it dis-anforded (is that a word?) the theoretical premise that if everyone broadcasts from their own platform (tower of babble / self-actualizing-node-in-a-sea-of-noise effect) the interaction will be more meaningful.
    If we intend to produce and display objects as part of the process here then we can simply link out to where ever they are. At one point small discussion groups scattered about were likened to individual camp fire gatherings across a large landscape. MOOCs always seem to evolve into smaller groups and in spite of the assumed advantages of many voices contributing to diversity my sense is too many members actually silence the quieter participants.
    Anyone have data on optimum discussion group size? Medical schools use groups of 8 and someone at a conference said they were experimenting with 12 or 16. (Having been a patient in a teaching hospital more than 8 interns poking at me seems like too many:-)
    Anyway, the physics of MOOCs suggests to me that discussions tend to focus down to smaller groups and as many as necessary to suit group needs. This is all still about the quality of meaning and participation to the individual person’s mind and largeness has no intrinsic value that I can see. Scott

milliken

I am a bit new to all this and what i like’loathe about the whole thing is learning. I’ve read lots of theory but try to practice it I find is very ifficult. I never quite know whether it’s me being  a clod, my computer settings being wrong, my lack of the achitecture knowledge of vle’s, facebook or moodle or if it problems to do with the course design or infrastructure. this is on the forum.

doctorjen

Hi Scott,

Yes, I’ve read that too somewhere that MOOC organisers think that discussion/artefacts carry deeper meaning/learning potential if they are in your own space. I can see the arguments that you can ‘keep’ it more easily. But, the thought of having thoughts on a blog terrify me! Performance anxiety perhaps? I also need people to nudge me into thinking, so staring at a blank blog with only my own voice for company isn’t going to work!

ScottJohnson

Hi David, regardless of theory I find the net to be a physical extension of the “real” world accessable through my keyboard. As a place in my mind resembling the early William Gibson cyberspace cities, distractions abound and a significant amount of learning happens by wandering down the “wrong” path or chasing something of immediate interest. Maybe it would be better to be deliberate but why not let the jumble and messiness let you be drawn wherever you please? Could it be we need new strategies for navigating in a changing world? Yes.

milliken

Hi Scott

On a personal level I’m with you and have spent many hours wandering cyberspace.

But on both a personal level (sometimes) and a professional teaching level (often) I feel that I am standing knocking at a door and when eventually I work out that the lever you call a handle opens the door – it’s locked and I need a key which I then have to work out where to get.

So yes, new strategies needed and that is exactly what I’m here to learn.

ScottJohnson

Hi Jennie,
    Yes there is something to be said about having documentation of one’s brilliance recorded for posterity on a blog and I do have a blog (and await brilliance). On the other hand the spirit of distributed’ness appeals to my nature. What fires my imagination seems to be that part of my brain that thrives on reading and responding and I wonder if that has to do with my art training in the sense that a portion of myself is reserved for contact with the stimulus  provided by others? Responding seems like a “real world” activity and not confined strictly to imagination–I think:-)
    A devoted introvert may find blogging useful, some people think better in the format and there are people who seem to be audience orientated to do their best work. There are some really great bloggers out there in this category. Maybe the point is to stay engaged  however it happens?

ScottJohnson

Hi David,
    Our instructional staff have been waiting years for training in the basics of online teaching and working in the office where we build in our VLE Moodle we spend a lot of time helping faculty as do a few of their collegues. The problem is professional development is a mix of many missing pieces and an expectation that after a long day in class teachers will be eager to learn new skills taught by sales staff from a software manufacturer in their spare time. There’s just something about being told how to do your job by someone who has no clue what you do (and can’t teach either) that puts professionals off–hard to imagine as that might be. 
    Our new director of teaching has some great ideas about focusing on teaching and learning and then filling in with the technical stuff that would best present what each  individual teacher feels will serve their students best. Unfortunately our trainer is off on indefinite sick leave, her back-up has no training in online delivery herself and won’t begin until this July as part-time trainer, and our online development office staff  has all either been recently fired or are quitting.
    There’s free training available through Oxford Brooks coming up call First Steps… and every year Mira Costa College in California does a free online course called Pedagogy First that you might like. MOOCs like this one are a good way to learn how to navigate through chaos but since my first one it seems the polite thing to do to provide some direction. Those of us who naturally ignore direction won’t even notice anyway:-)

doctorjen

Scott,

“What fires my imagination seems to be that part of my brain that thrives on reading and responding ” – I couldn’t agree more! This is one of the reasons I find I have a block to blogging.

Responding seems like a “real world” activity and not confined strictly to imagination–I think:-)
    I think too 😉

J

SolentRoger

I have 10 people now added to http://mycourse.solent.ac.uk/mongrels

Any other mongrels that have not sent me a mail, please do to roger.emery@solent.ac.uk with the subject “mogrles” and I’ll set you up. (Scott Johnson -I don’t seem to have a mail from you, or if you have can you resend it, may have got lost in the flood.)

Roger

Sharmina

Hi folks! Hope everyone had a good weekend. Just to let everyone know, I’m now unsubscribing from this forum…see you at our new home!

ScottJohnson

Reading the Diana Laurillard essay on digital technologies cleared up some of my thoughts on technology in education though I need to clarify to myself why so much of the rush to present everything as having a technological solution leaves me cold. “…using technology to solve a specific problem, not finding the problem that technology is a solution for ” suggests a test by which you remove the person and leave only the technology. Does it still work to convey meaning?
    Not sure I understand what I mean here (not uncomon for me) except that most of courses we are building at the moment seem to be going backward while being presumed to be forward thinking because it takes a computer to access them. I.E.: teaching that is unable to read student response and adapt followed by simplistic multi-choice exams read by other machines. Strange how we do everything possible to remove the human element from learning and call it progress.

milliken

> Hi Scott,> > How right you are – especially about the suave salesman – taking candy from a baby – and it is great to hear about it from the other perspective. I feel a  like I’m in (was it Rumsey who said it?) the unknown unknown. Just bought an e reader (I went on a course where they were heavily touted) and am currently struggling to convert PDFs to a more readable format. I spend all my time feeling a bit bemused.> > it is interesting to feel your frustration.  Part of the reason I’m doing this course is to force myself to actually do the online thing. > > I thinking too that it time teaschers woke up to the fact that this is very much their job these days and they need to adapt.> > Not sure if this goes to all our group and now that we have moved to Moodle it might only go to you.> 

ScottJohnson

Sharmina posted the following at the Mongrels site:

2. Liz mentioned that students prefer consistency across modules in terms of what’s available online – is that realistic and should students expect that and should/can we maintain this level of consistency?

Can we be sure students prefer consistency. Anything that can be turned to the advantage of the institution makes me suspicious. Consistency and orderliness are what I constantly hear from the upper level editors I prepare courses for but who’s say these people are anything more than herd thinkers or slaves to some school of homogization and sensible behaviour?

There’s a constant debate at our college over safety and comfort for our students and I think this betrays our duty to present the world as uncomfortable, inconsistent and wonderfully weird. Consistency is something you seek in manufacturing to assure reliably similar products and not something to value in human beings facing a changing world.

Maybe we should change consistency to harmless? Or “familiar” sounds comforting. Like Day-Care thinking.

My question is: do we really know what facilitates learning? In design there’s a rule about the interface not distracting form the message. You don’t make books out of bricks or runny oatmeal. Is there one universal principal of presentation for all subjects?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • The topic ‘12 mongrels wanted: small group for those of no particular pedigree’ is closed to new replies.