This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Using iPads to deliver courses?

Home Forums Induction ("Week 0") Small group reflection (Activity 0.5) Using iPads to deliver courses?

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    AliSheph

I’m planning a pilot with a small group of staff to explore affordances and iPad pedagogies.  I’m currently undecided about single platform vs BYOD – I have recently got a Google Nexus tablet and I’m impressed with it’s abilities, but haven’t fully explored it yet.  I’m planning to use it as my comparison point for the iPad.

AliSheph

Yes – I’ve been blogging about these issues at http://alicesadventuresinedtech.wordpress.com

I am going to a seminar given by David White tomorrow about expectations and online activities of students (one of his most cited papers is at http://www.uic.edu/htbin/cgiwrap/bin/ojs/index.php/fm/article/viewArticle/3171/3049, so I’ll pick up anything of interest and share it.

AliSheph

Hi Roger

Interesting stuff – to use the jargon, I think provision of feedback is quite a situated practice, strong preferences etc.  When I did an online marking pilot with Grademark a couple of years ago on PC one of the biggest issues was that our particular assignment had a landscape page in it and there was no function to rotate the page!  Not a problem we had envisaged…:)

Agreed. But as I said we can’t give our student cohort all an iPad. So we have no choice but to deliver “content” to all devices. I believe from an email today this is being looked at by IMS Global Consortium in a project called: Interactive & Connected Educational e-Book (ICE)

Description: Download pdf

Our students are professional business people so they are very familiar with all sorts of devices and so knowledgeableness isn’t an issue…

We presently deliver via PDF and would continue to do so for those without access to an ePub3 reader…

Anortcliffe

The advantage if you already make the files PDF, how distribute the files will be key as all tablets cope with PDFs.  If I recieve PDF files in an email, I’ll open in iBook and store in iBook.  I can create folders and organise the files.  Personal library.  Reality most people who are familar with their device will have prefered method of reading and storing their files.   It is more often not distributing is the problem, in Bb if you embed file attachments in the item text, the files are locked to Bb app or web browser to. Which user accessing Blackboard.  However if the files are attached as an attachment to an item in Bb item tool, then files can be opened using which app the user prefers.
     It is distributing time bound loaned PDF (e-books) our library has problem with distributing, you can download ebook to read on the desktop at home or at work for the period loan, read in any PDF reader.  However you can’t on a tablet, you have read PDF using on-line reader in library website, which is so unusable and nightmare to read ebooks from.

AliSheph

Blog entry about the David White workshop on online behaviour – visitors and residents

http://goo.gl/Wxeaq

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • The topic ‘Using iPads to deliver courses?’ is closed to new replies.