Technology selection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  learningtecgirl 6 years, 2 months ago.

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_search() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_fields() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_request() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287
  • Author

Martin Hawksey
    Keymaster

Please read the Methodology and Pedagogical Dimensions sections of Hill et al (2012) paper (full text as a web page, or PDF). The authors identify four groups of pedagogical dimensions to be considered when selecting a template for designing a course web site.

Although the authors were considering the selection of a web site template for a course, the same applies for considering the selection of any platform. Think about the identified pedagogical dimensions:

• Which of these dimensions is the biggest driver towards your adoption and choice of technology?
    • How do these dimensions change each time you run the course and what effects does this have on technology choices (e.g. ‘scale/capacity’ of certain activities for class size, physical location of activity)?
    • How does this relate to the learning activity strategies you may have identified in Activity 1.2?

Tell us you stories about using technology in your teaching, and the platforms you use. If you’re looking for inspiration, have a look at some of the stories from Week 1.

glenn
    Participant

To me as a learning technologist the biggest driver towards my choice of technology has to be “Participation”, it is my job to make sure that the resources are displayed online in an environment that supports and offers functionality for participants.

Every time that a course runs, or refreshes, an evaluation procedure picks up on issues or concerns raised, this allows the planning process to restart, and build in flexibility, recognise changes in scale, location, duration, participant experience and support pedagogical improvement.

During activity 1.2 I identified the following as key drivers when choosing a “learning platform”:
    • A sense of community
    • Ease of access (Must work on various types of computing device)
    • Flexible platform for learning
    • Allow themed content
    • Be easily supported and supportive.

I feel that the “sense of community” identified, fits within the “participation” dimension outlined. My reasoning for this is that for a participant to participate in an online learning course effectively a sense of community should be fostered, and nurtured.

I have supported learners using Moodle, SharePoint, Blackboard, Google Sites and other learning technologies, all of which can be made participant friendly driving a sense of online community, be it through in built or bolted on features, my advice to fellow practitioners is choose a few course development platforms, compare them and practice, exploring their feature set. There is no one ideal learning platform, but with a bit of creative development any of the main platforms can support your learner’s needs.

Comments welcome here or via the GSOCTEL blog.

guy saward
      Participant

Glynn

Interesting to see you focussed on sense of community and participation. For me, these are proxy measures for “Is this easy to use”, and “is it useful” – however you define the latter! For games, the useful bit might be, is this useful in wasting my time in an enjoyable way/helping destress me/… 😉

guy

guy saward
    Participant

Having looked at Hill et al, I really didn’t like this. The models I felt were poor and the results not helpful.

For me, technology or template selection comes way down the list after clearly articulated and motivated learning design. The way pedagogy and learning activities were muddled meant I would struggle to know how to use discussion forums to support my online learning, let alone evaluate whether I should be hosting them on twitter, facebook or my VLE.

Much more ranting can be found in more detail on the blog.

learningtecgirl
    Participant

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_search() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_fields() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_request() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

On the topic of Assessment and Feedback and Technology, was wondering if colleagues could add to this that I have blogged about:

http://learningtecgirl23.wordpress.com/category/week-by-week/week-four/

Thanks

The topic ‘Technology selection’ is closed to new replies.