Student involvement in TEL

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jojacob_uk 6 years, 1 month ago.

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_search() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_fields() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_request() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 287
  • Author

Julie Voce
    Keymaster

The webinar focussed on students as leaders. Listen to the ALT 2013 keynote ‘It’s all about the learner’ (23 minute YouTube video) from Rachel Wenstone at the NUS on how students can work in partnership with institutions.

Now think about how students in your institution engage with and influence TEL developments and share your thoughts

jojacob_uk
    Participant

This might sound odd, but one of the ways learners I work with influence TEL is by not using TEL tools provided, thereby having a blocking influence.

I appreciate that the webinar and Julie’s presentation highlighted the need to involve learners in the decisions about TEL, however I am also mindful of Ford’s assertion that ‘If I had asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse.’ So i am in no way suggesting that the learners I work with don’t know what they want or won’t have an opinion about it, just that we would be unlikely to arrive at the correct tool for the job if we ask our learners about it.

So we have decided to use some TEL tools, because they have certain affordances and are cost-effective, such as Edmodo which is a free web-based VLE. And some learners do not or will not use it. This is not, however, strictly a TEL problem. We used to buy all our learners textbooks but some didn’t use those either!

I am very interested in learner voice, or student engagement or whatever it is called where you work. But I have seen few instances of it really being enacted well, where learners really are considered partners, or leaders. It is hard to get our learners to engage as they are all employed and learning at the same time, so they tend to be fairly strategic learners in that they do what they need to in order to complete their qualifications, but not much more, and probably not getting involved in student voice activities or consultations. They do have the opportunity of voting with their actions by choosing not to use a TEL tool, and we need to listen to that. Not all learner voice is verbal!

The topic ‘Student involvement in TEL’ is closed to new replies.