Reading and reflection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  jojacob_uk 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

lcreanor

Read Effective Assessment in a Digital Age (JISC, 2010). Choose either one of the case studies listed on pages 26-29 or an example of assessment design from your own experience and –

• consider how the case study or design relates to the teaching and learning perspectives on page 11,
    • examine how it reflects the REAP (Re-Engineering Assessment Practices) principles of effective formative and feedback on page 15,
    • propose an alternative form of online assessment which could achieve the same learning goals.

Moira Maley
    Participant

I have already posted a reflective item on another forum which would have applied here as well.

In terms of reflecting on the learning perspectives and assessment as suggested

Item one – would be included in the constructivist / social constructivist perspective as when the students were doing individual problems (practice) they were actively constructing ideas and hyptheses but also if they chose to use the university computer labs they would discuss their dilemmas amongst themselves or with a live tutor, so has the feedback of associative perspective.

Item two – adopted the associative perspective as the assessment tested knowledge and deductions from more complex skills with expert feedback

Item three – the blended context was situative in its L/T perspective, assessment and feedback but also partly constructivist.

Moira Maley
    Participant

@lcreanor – should I have posted my contribution above as a separate forum topic?  rather than a reply to your header post?

Linda Creanor
    Keymaster

Hi Moira,

No that’s fine – you’ve posted in the right place!

Thanks for tackling this activity.  I think you’re spot on with your categorisation of learning theories for the case studies you’ve listed.  An  interesting aspect of this is that learning activities can often encompass more than one theoretical approach which can make them challenging to assess.  This needs to be considered quite early on in the curriculum design process.

Identifying learning outcomes and deciding how they can be assessed can then inform  decisions around the design of learning activities (and of course where technology can help).  It can sometimes seem a bit counter-intuitive, but from a learning and teaching point of view it makes sense.

Look forward to hearing what others think too.

Regards,

Linda

jojacob_uk
    Participant

In my field the learning outcomes are specified by the awarding bodies, so we have no control over them. Perhaps that makes it easier, as we can simply focus on the learning and assessment strategies? Or perhaps it constrains us? I have nothing to compare it to really as I have not worked in HE.

The topic ‘Reading and reflection’ is closed to new replies.