motivation & goals

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Moira Maley 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Moira Maley
    Participant

That was an informative experience, doing one of each of those suggested.

I watched the Khan presentation & did their algebra tute, did the expedition game and then tried the ethics VP

As the learner, I found that the video-based resources all had an embedded cultural context that brought some dissonance to me and this impeded the potential benefit from them.  I hadn’t expected that.

The most beneficial (made me feel good and I felt I’d had a fair chance of success) was the game, “expedition”.  Why?

It kept me engaged. It had a rhythm and that predictability allowed me to “get the hang of playing the game”. It showed me my progress along the path between the start and finish.

The rhythm included relief from concentrating continually by punctuating with contextualising video snipets (without people speaking), and short reading scripts which cleverly paraphrased the outcome of the activity I had just completed. There were 3 active areas in the screen but the current activity was the only active one at any time.

The paraphrasing re-assured me a true representation of my experience was recorded. The progress track reassured me I was on the right path and there was an end.  Seeing the spinning dice was beneficial – I somehow felt that I had tossed them.

I think the expedition game was most experiential – there was me and the task the game presented.

Whereas the Khan videos experience was like being in a lecture hall and if the voice grated or the cultural attitude did not complement my own values … this detracted from my perception of the value I received.

The iEthics VP was a bit clunky in its flow.  It gave you the option of getting information by video snippets or text which was good.  I prefer text and that ran easily and allowed me to go back and re-check other paths, however it didn’t feel as though it flowed and I did not feel as though i had arrived anywhere at the end.

The Khan videos need to be slotted into a particular learning circumstance so they meet a narrow goal.

The iEthics resource had such a defined purpose that I felt an imposter doing it.

I will remember the expedition template as a most useful relaity check if i want students to buy into thinking more deeply about the consequences of an action.  The decisions it required me to make were simple but had multiple consequences.

My work environment is about deep learning and penguin-off-iceblock jumping, in the expedition game I was safely in and out of the water without noticing.

What did this have to do with motivation and goals, in the title?    The tool applied needs to have synergy with its application- that’s all.

The topic ‘motivation & goals’ is closed to new replies.