May be they all had a point

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  guy saward 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

jenni26cg
    Participant

I was once recommended a supervisor as ‘he’ll bring the best out of you’ and coming from a very traditional learning background, I chose him. The years with him meant  a lot of arguments, disagreements and at times even included feedback to simply think. It produced a lot of frustration but I went back repeatedly to defend myself with more research, more fact yet with utmost respect. Each time I went back, he was there to praise the fight I fought and continue to encourage. End of 6 years, I think he has brought the best out of me. He’s aim was to push me until i proved him wrong.

I didn’t know of the Socratic technique then but now I realise it was used by my supervisor exceptionally well. Very time consuming but deep knowledge.

Relating it to TEL, to prepare for my fight back, I used every possible avenue to acquire information and in the process discovered a wealth of knowledge I could have never been taught directly. This was precious in terms of knowledge and also character building as emphasised by Confucius.

Confucius approaches learning holistically. Having been teaching for almost 18 years, i find this lacking now. The drive appears to be employability and students as customers who need to be given the information in the simplest form. Technology is easily accessible to use or misuse. It certainly provides more than what can be delivered in the traditional classroom. I wonder if moral values and society’s expectations would have an importance within the employability sector as much as their grades and e-portfolios would?

If Illich was alive, he’d be happy to see student who pay their fee and not attend lectures. If technology had all the answers, why don’t we have institutions that simply have assessments?

guy saward
    Participant

Sorry Jeni – I replied to this but machine lost it before I could submit.  In brief replication …

In answer to question about “<span style=”color: rgb(85, 85, 85); font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 22.100000381469727px;”>why don’t we have institutions that simply have assessments</span>” I am sure we might have, though it would be interesting to see whether this is a (business) model that is sustainable. After all, the UK driving licence theory test is available at £31 and IT certification exams are available in the hundreds of pounds.

But I appreciate you account of the Socratic method (of post graduate supervision?) and the reference to a more Confucian, wholistic approach.  This chimes well with this weeks discussion of deep vs surface learning.

I have to confess to being more strategic in my approach whether it is in the form of badges, or knowledge to solve a particular problem – rather than the deep learning for the love of the subject.  Too little time for the latter … particularly as I have a post for 1.3 waiting to be uploaded 😉

The topic ‘May be they all had a point’ is closed to new replies.