Learning Mobility

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  neobadwolfone 5 years, 7 months ago.

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_search() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 288

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 288

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_fields() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 288

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_request() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 288
  • Author

Andy Wilson
    Participant

I’ve been reflecting on the autonomous/directed and individual/social framework and this has prompted me to think about rapid mobility around the quadrants.

Most of my work these days is in a strongly facilitative mode – group workshops, strategic planning awaydays, action learning, coaching, etc. I think that I am seeking to move fairly quickly around the area within the model.

So the social context provides a place for individual reflection whose results are then tried out with the group. And the direction sets boundaries that allow autonomy and the autonomous comments help shape the direction.

I suspect that in different learning contexts the mobility issues will be different, but I need to think further about whether the key message is that we need to move around the quadrants. Certainly I can env9sage dangers in locking learners – or teachers – into particular quadrants.

Andy Wilson
    Participant

My point is that you are doing this all the time on the fly. It’s the classic, “What do I do next?” question. So I suppose I’m saying that you could refine the question somewhat and say, “Given the group and its individual members, and the purpose of the exercise, where do I want to position my next intervention?”

So, for instance, if I want to get confirmation of a decision about the future of the organisation, I’m going to be quite directing and probably both social and individual.

Mind you, there are other dimensions and other spaces you could use as well. Static/dynamic and Task/social would be a Jungian take on this. But I think I come back to mobility as the key.

And in TEL terms I guess the question is which technologies are better suited to which quadrants? Or is that next week?

Yes I take your point. So how would you judge which technologies (if any) are best fit for which quadrant with the emphasis on ‘enhancement’?

Andy Wilson
    Participant

None of these is pure, but here are some initial thoughts…

Individual/Directed = vodcast

Directed/Social = online action learning

Social/Autonomous = micro-blogging

Autonomous/Individual = discovery learning

hannahtyreman
      Participant

Hi Andy, I like this approach. Thanks for sharing! 🙂

Individual/Directed- produce a resource for your peers to use: Smore/Infogr.am/Piktochart/Joomag

Directed/Social- Develop an essay/plan/guide with your peers in Google/Wiki

Social/autonomous- Love the idea of blogging here. Use of forums/ Google+ communities would work here too.

Autonomous/individual- Are there approaches that work besides some kind of discovery learning?

mchaudhry
    Participant

hi

very interesting may consider using some of these in my practice in the next academic year and see the difference it makes

regards

neobadwolfone
    Participant

Late on this so apologies – great post Andy & I like the idea of, having identified the four quadrants & the idea of mobility between them, sharing the apps, software, technology etc that could enhance work in each quadrant.

One that I think would work really well for more directed learning would be http://www.gosoapbox.com which allows you as teacher to get instant barometers of learner ‘confusion’ so you know when you can move quickly because majority are getting it or when you need to slow down because the ‘Confusion Barometer’ is getting too high.

It also has Social Q&A, polling & forums, but it is the immediacy of the ‘Confusion Barometer’ that I liked.

John

Hi Andy,
    Good take away point. Have you been able to identify an activity or event that would benefit from being swapped from its existing location on the model?

The topic ‘Learning Mobility’ is closed to new replies.