Free Access to articles on Open and Distance Learning

Home Forums Materials & Platforms for Learning Technology (Week 3) What does open mean to you? (Activity 3.3) Free Access to articles on Open and Distance Learning

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Ted O’Neill 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

ColinHynson
    Participant

Dear all,

Taylor and Francis have just released a series of free access journal articles on open and distance learning that may interest OCTEL people.

You can find them here:

http://explore.tandfonline.com/content/ed/education-arena-focus-months-2014/education-arena-focus-month-article-collection-may-2014

James Kerr
    Keymaster

The push by some to disrupt the journal publishing model will be interesting to watch over the next few years. The current ecosystem is so closed and restrictive, the exact opposite of the open movement.

Ted O’Neill
    Participant

I’m always a bit ambivalent about these performances by academic publishers. It is wonderful of Taylor and Francis to open up a few articles for a period of time. But they may get too much credit for it. It smacks of “openwashing” or “accesswashing” (viz. greenwashing). Yes, I can now read Student retention in distance education: are we failing our students? in the ironically named Open Learning: The Journal of Open, Distance and e-Learning for free, but if I want to follow one of the references cited in the article I have to pay 39 USD for the one paper or 149 USD for the full issue for a 6 page, 24 year old article. Not very “open”. Thank you for sharing some articles, Colin. That should help people in ocTEL but T&F’s periodic handouts seem like PR stunts that require scrutiny, not an actual response to open access .

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  Ted O'Neill.

The topic ‘Free Access to articles on Open and Distance Learning’ is closed to new replies.