Back On Track

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  guy saward 6 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

glenn
    Participant

Much as the “course level project” that was discussed, I too have found that “time” is the key factor when working to develop a new template or e-learning course. The issue of “planning” was covered in depth in the project review, in my experience though I have found that too much planning can hinder the process of getting the job done, especially when you only have certain “time-windows” from which to work with key staff, planning needs to be flexible too.

When working on one large e-learning programme development for professional CPD, I worked alongside University management and academic staff as my immediate stake-holders, with delegates once enrolled taking a “key” stakeholder position.

The resources fell into similar fields, staff time, finance, office space, facilities, knowledge, computing server space, hardware and systems, promotional staff, advertising; space, time, finance.

The project plan was clear initially, but as with all life’s best laid plan’s things altered and changed as the project progressed. Staff left the project and new academics were appointed. Finance became tight, but the initial roll out was successful, partly due to the extra time that I facilitated as launch date approached.

Failure was not really planned for, but the one fail safe if time became too tight, or if enough delegates did not enrol, was that we would delay the launch for 3 months, this wasn’t required though as all systems were ready, and delegates enrolled in such numbers that extra academic staff were required to facilitate the course, which wasn’t anticipated to occur until the second time that the course would run.

Evaluation was an ongoing procedure at key monthly intervals we took a snap-shot of progress on the course, and asked academic staff and delegates for feed-back at weeks, 2612, from with the course system. We also asked for feedback via University administration staff at the course end.

We marked the success of the course on levels of retention, complaints and feedback that we received, from this we gained repeat admissions, as further courses rolled out and utilised the same design systems and feedback process.

Feedback welcomed, here or via the blog

Julie Voce
    Keymaster

Thanks Glenn, good to hear about what seems to be a very successful project and course. I agree that there are times when you can spend so long on the planning that you start to lose sight of what you’re trying to achieve. Some ICT projects here are run using an Agile approach, which seems to be rely on a general plan to agree and prioritise requirements, and then regular communication and managing expectations throughout the process as things change. This less structured approach can work well when you have a number of stakeholders with changing requirements. It forces them to think about what can and should be delivered and to prioritise things.

It’s good to hear that you obtained regular feedback throughout the course as well as at the end. How soon did you implement any response to the feedback?

guy saward
      Participant

Julie

interesting to see your comment about agile (with small or capital A;-) being a less structured approach. Personally, I think Agile can be just as structured an approach as plan driven ones – its just that the structure is simpler and not all nailed down in advance.

Its also interesting to see that the timeboxing approach used in most agile methods has objectives (albeit short term ones) and evaluation at its core – evaluation being the topic for this final week of ocTEL!.

g

glenn
    Participant

Hello Julie, thanks for your feedback 🙂

We implemented general changes, ready for new cohorts, which was on average 6 month rotation.

If there was a “major” issue, then we would look into altering it asap, with immediate feedback sought from delegates once the issue was fixed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Glenn

Julie Voce
    Keymaster

Hi Glenn,

That’s good to hear that you implemented changes asap where necessary. In my experience there’s little incentive for learners to provide useful feedback if they aren’t going to benefit from it.

Best wishes,
    Julie

The topic ‘Back On Track’ is closed to new replies.