Anonymous marking

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rose Heaney 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Rose Heaney

As I took my leave of the webinar yesterday I quickly (and rather casually) tweeted a point made by another participant in relation to anonymous marking

Anonymous marking is at odds with concepts of longitudinal feedback and developing dialogue with learners over time #octel;

to which Tom Franklin responded with

Really interesting observation, so how do people square the circle of anonymous marking and dialogic feedback? #octel

as did other twitter followers in a similar vein.

So now I feel obliged to pursue this a bit. A cursory look for literature has revealed little though I did find this 2002 article in an HEA archive.  At a basic level anonymous marking & feedback definitely seems to fly in the face of  dialogic feedback. However on further reflection and as a result of a perusal of the very rich resources on assessment & feedback from the JISC projects presented yesterday I feel a bit differently. So here’s my next tweet or almost tweet sized snippet:

If anonymously marked assignments are the only form of feedback available then we do have a problem. However most students experience a much richer assessment diet – and if they don’t they should….

Please discuss, as I am all too aware this is an over-simplification – but I need to get back to the day job.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by  Rose Heaney.

Tom Franklin
    Participant

Many thanks for taking the trouble to research the issue and follow up you original tweet, and point us at some of the literature. I really appreciate that, and found the GEES article helpful, with the start of somewhere to go. I will explore the other material more tomorrow.

Janet Gordon
    Participant

Yes, thanks, Rose, for the links. I’ll try to make time to take a look. So, if the formative feedback is dialogic along the way, anonymous marking for summative / contributory assignments might not be such a bad thing?

Rose Heaney

Hi Janet

It’s possible but I wouldn’t like to say more than that 🙂 Staff often have no choice about anonymous marking so it’s a question of seeing how principles of good feedback can still be accommodated alongside or in spite of it.

The topic ‘Anonymous marking’ is closed to new replies.