This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Small group reflection on information literacy

Home Forums Induction ("Week 0") Small group reflection (Activity 0.5) Small group reflection on information literacy

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone and Elizabeth,

My big question is about what makes for effective and useful social media policy and guidelines in HE and FE settings. I am at Bradford College, where I work in a mix of things: I manage our research ethics policy and procedure, I run a College Ethics blog, and I am also in marketing. I am very conscious of the need to encourage and facilitate engagement in new media, while also providing guidelines and guidance. We do that here, but are always looking for ways to improve. I am interested in that overlap in new media between the personal and professional, and how employees manage that…

I’d love to be part of a group! Is this a suitable home for me? You all sound very interesting 🙂

I am on Google+: I think small groups there can be quite good there.

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Welcome to the group  and happy to have you.

I hope that by the end of the course you will have addressed your big question or at least started.  I think you may well find yourself generating additional big questions as we go along.

l_balman

Hi All

I hope I’m not too late to join this group, as I’ve taken it over the recommended numbers! Anyway, along with Bryony, I am a Subject Librarian (Applied Sciences and Business) at the University of Huddersfield in the UK.

The information literacy teaching I am involved in invariably takes the form of one-off sessions which are either lecture-based or (ideally!) in the  classroom. My ‘big question’ relates to how to use TEL to engage students who I’m unlikely to see more than once a year (http://lisaoctel.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/my-big-question/).

I’ve experimented with online teaching materials in the past, taking joint responsibility for the development of an induction website which incorporated screencasts, Informs tutorials, podcasts etc. However, I seem to have lost my enthusiasm lately- not knowing what the most appropriate tools are, fearing duplication of effort across the service, and coping with updating resources have all been contributory factors. I’m looking to regain my enthusiasm, and hopefully get up to speed for the most appropriate tools out there for me!

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Welcome – I am sure we have space for one more!

The scenario you present is something I am sure that we have all experienced – and some of us may still be experiencing it.  I too am hoping along with finding an answer to my big question, that by the end of the course I will be able to make some informed suggestions to the team of subject librarians I work with who have ‘lost their enthusiasm’.

Viewing 4 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • The topic ‘Small group reflection on information literacy’ is closed to new replies.