This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Small Group for FE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    jamesclay

Though ocTEL has an HE focus, this doesn’t exclude FE, partly as there is HE teaching in FE, but also I am sure that the lessons learned here are transferable to the FE side of things too.

So is there interest in answering the three questions from an FE perspective?

James

Doug Gowan

James

Good point. The comparison may be interesting. Many of the participants are not UK based and so their concept of FE may be somewhat different.

TeacherStu1

My first response to the last question of how effective the MOOC approach is for this challenge, is really focused on how effective a forum/structure such as this is applicable to our needs in an FE setting. The benefits of sharing ideas and issues with such a wide array of peers will no doubt benefit all greatly, but how might we use this approach ourselves to encourage learner development?

I am hoping this course will point us in the right direction…

landgirl233

Hi

Yes and for the purposes of the international community particpating in this, should we define FE as it is in the UK? In Europe for example it is often referred to as “Upper Secondary”? or might also include reference to the VET agenda in Initial Vocational Education and Training (16+ age group )

Landgirl

veecam

I would for example see great benefits of a MOOC for CPD amongst teachers and educators as a means to FE. Most often people complain they have no time for CPD because of other commitments. Not to say that a MOOC does away with commitments, however, there is so much more flexibility to learning – not just in terms of time, but also in terms of learning paths and directions.

tunners78

Hi there,

I’d like to join this group if you’ll have me. I am an FE tutor teaching Access to HE for Nursing, and Medical and Science Professions. Currently I teach in the age range of 19+. We have students who are well into their 50’s within the remit of FE.

I suspect that a MOOC would be useful for fast track course structures as part of a ‘blended’ approach. I can see a lot of use as a learning consolidation mechanism for students both in and outside of the traditional college environment.

Beth

Aitken

TEL; does photocopying count?

Hello there, I’m a learning technologist at an FE College and was drawn to this MOOC as I’m interested in hearing how others are championing TEL in their organisations.

I also thought it would be a good idea to participate in this type of course to pre-empt the “we’d like you to create a MOOC for the start of next term” email. 
    Stuart

trish_oc

So FE isn’t ‘further education’?

Sorry to be a bit dense but as someone said this is an international  MOOC

I might as well embarrass  myself totally & just check that HE is Higher Education.. 3rd level/Uni/College etc.

So confusing.. and this is only day 2 of my first MOOC!!!!

cheers

Trish

jamesclay

Yes FE is Further Education (from a UK perspective) and that is where I was coming from in forming a small group with other FE professionals.

I do appreciate that this is an international MOOC with participants from a wide range of places.

tunners78

For me, FE can deal with a wide range of service users. In my area, we deal with 19+ learners  (Adult provision), however  our courses deal with a range of level 1 (USA Junior high), level 2 (Freshman and High school Sophomore) and level 3 (High school junior and senior) learners, all aged 19+. Our FE college also has a 16-19 section and an HE section (Uni level).

I hope this is useful.

MariaHacker

Hi

As a VLE Champion in an FE college which also delivers HE courses, I would like to join this discussion group.

I agree with Beth that MOOC courses will work within FE if they are part of a blended learning approach.  One has to be very self motivated to stay on a MOOC course and they generally seems to attract the more academic learner.

Also it will be interesting to see how many start this course and how many complete.

Maria

AnnaVerges

Dear all

Apologies for beign an ignorant, what is FE Physical education?

Anna

Clare

Hi all,

I’d be interested  in joining this group if you’ll have me, I’ve been working in FE for over ten years now and am currently working a learning technologist/trainer/developer amongst other things!  I’m interested in discovering how others are using technology for teaching, learning  and assessment, using MOOC’s for staff development and (cheap) ways of improving students’ experience of Further Education.

Clare

jamesclay

So here is a chance to reflect on the three questions from a UK FE perspective.

What can we tell about the range of experiences and preferences among ocTEL participants? Are the experience and preferences of those working in FE similar, or diverse? Are they different to those participants from HE or are they similar?

What challenges does this present for the course? With an HE focus can we transfer and apply the lessons from the course to an FE context?

In what ways is a MOOC well or poorly suited to these challenges? Would FE participants engage in this kind of MOOC?

KimLesley

Hi James

Can I join this group?  I’m at New College, Swindon.  I visited you a couple of times during the days of MoleNet. I’m doing this MOOC in both my roles, as learning technologist in FE and as an Associate Lecturer with the OU.  New College are still quite behind with TEL, despite the efforts of the elearning team, though we are gradually developing online courses and getting staff trained in using education technologies.  I’m interested in this course to see what it’s like to be part of a MOOC.  I put my big question on my blog (http://learn.open.ac.uk/mod/oublog/view.php?user=105699), which was essentially how is learning being enhanced by technology?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The topic ‘Small Group for FE’ is closed to new replies.