This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Self-Assessment as Progress Tracker

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James Kerr
    Participant

In an online course I participated in, where the topic was, recursively, Taking Your Course Online, content modules were interspersed with short self-assessment activities.  Some were MC questions, some were short answer or “connect the topics” sorts of activities.  The activities allowed learners to take a quick inventory of their understanding of the current module topic and track their progress through the modules.  I found this to be a helpful and non-intrusive aid to my self-regulated learning.

Since the course was hosted on an LMS, and the content was developed with a content development package, the activities did not require a tremendous amount of resources, time, or energy to implement and include, and definitely were a good investment, in terms of payoff for the learners.

James,

I’ve just written a post in this forum about the same kind of thing – quiz questions for checking understanding. I have recently enjoyed these much to my surprise! But these will only work in sites of learning where there are convergent answers. In graphic design, for example, we like to encourage divergent thinking so you couldn’t have a machine-based answer to these self-assessments.

Sancha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Self-Assessment as Progress Tracker’ is closed to new replies.