This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Questionnaires: Online Readiness

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    DavidDawson

Introducing Students To Online Learning

These questionnaires measure readiness or capabilities for learning or study, in a general sense. They do do not specifically measure readiness for online learning with the exception of asking about computer related skills. This is not to say that they don’t measure useful attributes; I think that they do.

In a sense, these questionnaires measure ‘entry requirements’ or preparedness for a course of study. I think that the characteristics measured by these questionnaires are (variously):

Self-organisation (time management),
    Ability to study independently,
    Confidence,
    Adequate time for study,
    Access to the necessary technology,
    Some computer skills,
    Willingness to interact with others online.

Measuring these could help educators to guide students to the resources that might be most helpful to them in studying successfully (such as time management, study skills,  how to use software (e.g. Word, EndNote) and certain basic computer skills like how to manage files).

So, these questionnaires are useful for providing educators with information about their students which might help them to study successfully or to give advice about how they should prepare for study.

In my opinion, these questionnaires don’t measure some things that would be useful to know. These things are, what, if any, online tools they are able to use. Can they use a wiki, an e-portfolio,  discussion board and so on. It would also be useful to know if potential students know how to access the resources available through their institution. Do they know about the institution’s student support services, how to use library resources, etc.

It sometimes seems to me that it assumed that students have technical skills when it is not necessarily the case. Particularly for mature age students and students who have not studied in some years but who are highly motivated to study online.

An example taken from. Different context and more or less at random is copied here (link: http://www.infoxchange.net.au/news/abc-digital-literacy):
    “Recently, Infoxchange conducted Social Media Training at three public housing estates in Melbourne. While the sessions were designed to help residents gain a better understanding of popular social media platforms, such as Facebook and Twitter, trainers found that the participant’s low digital literacy levels meant that many struggled with basic web skills such as using search engines, downloading applications, setting up email accounts and verifying their identity online”.

My own readiness:

These questionnaires all indicate that I am ready for online learning. Which might be so. But I feel I lack proficiency with certain tools such as wikis, discussion forums/rooms and e-portfolios. I use these things but I sometimes feel I am aiming for a bullseye that a lot of other people can see but which is unclear to me. They just seem messy to me.

How to use with students:

Ideally, I would like to have access to (or maybe develop) a support or preparatory programme composed of modules. Each module would deal with a particular skill,or skill-set. Questionnaires like these could be used to identify strengths and deficits and be used to direct students to modules which could help them to develop the skills they need.

Last of all, I would really like to know if there is an association between scores on these questionnaires and success and the student experience. In other words, do these have questionnaires have validity when the outcome measure is 1/ student success with online learning (e.g. learning outcomes achieved) and 2/ the experience of students of an online course in terms of positive, negative, level of engagement, did deep learning occur, etc. Maybe I’ll research it!

James Kerr
    Participant

Just because a student knows how to tweet does not mean they know how to search a library catalog database, let alone determine primary sources.

SueFolley

It would be really interesting to know if there is any correlation between scores and student success, I wonder if any of these institutions do some follow up work on this? Also it would be interesting to know if any potential students were put off by taking the questionnaires and if so, what the reason was. It could have made them rethink their expectations about an online course, but alternatively they could have been put off by something which was easy to learn or a skill that they could develop as they go. I often think people are not fully ready for courses, but as long as the motivation to do well is there and there is a willingness to learn skills as they go, this should not put them off.

Robert Davis

I remain unconvinced by questionnaires regarding them as a blunt instrument at best. Thinking about this causes me to consider ‘readiness for learn’ first seeing the digital readiness as a slightly skewed perspective perhaps distracting us from wider considerations. In the end, some people are very good at questionnaires, some at learning, some at both.

Digital readiness sounds like a list of expectations which relies on previous learning. Any previous experience will, because of where we are with digital learning, be patchy at least. Designing courses and the educational experience requires that we take this into consideration. The mooc pathway is multidimensional and questionnaires  might only scratch the surface of an imaginary path. Sue’s idea about engagement and participation seems critical and on a wider scale, we see this in action with our own mooc.

DaveCrome

Though the questionnaires have their limitations they do act as a useful reminder to course designers and facilitators about the variable ‘start standards’ of online learners. It’s clearly essential to ensure appropriate support mechanisms are in place. The questionnaires also help learners manage their expectations & time – hopefully increasing motivation?

KateHogan

I just did three of the questionnaires and there are varying levels of self-reflection required.  In the end, as a student, I saw them as “food for thought” …..they gave some focus on personal attributes that may help or hinder me in pursuing an on-line course.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Questionnaires: Online Readiness’ is closed to new replies.