This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Learner Support

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    fieryred1

Hi All

In terms of support one of the forums in week 2 where we discussed tools for assessing readiness for online courses was really useful Elizabeth gave me some useful research links. The webinar in week 6 about MOOCs was also helpful. The support for both was additional to what I had been expecting.

In terms of poor support I find it difficult to fit the course into work schedules sometimes and work a lot on my iPad as I usually have it with me so anything that doesn’t work with it such as the games or webinar playbacks make it difficult to interact with the content. I can spend time looking at content before I find it doesn’t work so something to tell me what systems work with which items would help.

In my experience telling users what system/platform requirements before starting a course is useful and presenting materials in different formats where necessary. Also providing some actual meetings directly with other students for example setting up a group task helps facilitate relationships and provide a sense of community.

In general I am quite happy to self study but I am aware that the lack of time makes it more likely that I interact less with peers and the webinar I can usually only watch in play back.

In terms of resources in theory students require a means of communication and someone who is willing to monitor and interact with the students if the conversation becomes unproductive. A plan of what are the aims of study also helps. However, I think it would be a mistake to assume that all students will get the most out of the experience if they are not coached and encouraged particularly those that find the idea of exchanging ideas and thoughts online difficult. This is particularly the case where English is not the first language of all the participants.

I find it difficult as a student to give my opinion so openly. It’s like putting my hand up in class and saying something I always found it difficult at school preferring to say nothing and read up on the subject privately. Discussion as a way of learning was not a part of study. So discussion boards are rather different to the classroom. I studied art to degree level, art is not about discussion it is about criticism. You paint/draw/sculpt/make ceramics your tutors and colleagues criticise you. You may defend but it usually a one way process, if a tutor does not like your work it is usually marked down, not that they can not appreciate it. The dynamics are different it is often skill based. I suppose then that some subjects may not suit this way of learning. Maths at a basic level is either right or wrong there is no discussion.

Sandra
    Fiery Red 1

Hi Sandra

I think you have picked out some key points in relation to challenges for online learners, and therefore key areas to try to address in the learning design and facilitation – time management, setting expectations, trying to cater for a range of devices (and needs), activities that help foster a group dynamic, some people finding it easier to contribute to a conversation than others. During the online courses I have run, often with people who are learning online for the first time, I have been told by people who would normally be a little reticent in speaking up in a face-to-face situation, that they are more comfortable contributing in an online context. I do think creating a safe environment for people to contribute within is vital for this, which I believe can be supported through the design and as you rightly point out, through catering for the needs of a variety of potential learners, such as considering language, culture and additional support needs. I think Nancy White will talk a little more about how learning design can help address this and some of the other challenges you point out, in her webinar this week.

I find your point about some subjects perhaps lending themselves to peer discussion more than others an interesting thought. To take your maths example, I wonder if there could still be room for discussion around the workings that lead towards the solution? That raises the further question, is it useful to encourage peer discussion around a subject where the answers are more convergent than divergent, eg is the peer discussion a useful activity for other reasons, such as helping to create a sense of community which might pay dividends at a later point in the course, such as at revision time?

Grainne

Sandra,

I recognise what you are saying about an art crit, but I was horrified that you felt that if the tutors didn’t like it that was that. I often don’t like work that my design learners put in front of me, but if it is effectively answering the brief and indeed meets the dreaded learning outcomes I wouldn’t dream of marking it down. When I’ve been involved in marking art it has always been about negotiation not just criticism – and the criticism should be two-way critique anyway, not just negative stuff.

Do you think things might have changed (not sure when this was) or do you think that design is a different kind of discipline? – though art has a brief too. I think it would be awful to go to assessment thinking that the tutors grade subjectively.

I suppose that many learners do feel that their relationship with the tutor might have a bearing in the end result of their work. How often do you hear about school kids in particular giving up a topic that they liked because they couldn’t get on with the tutor! I wonder if learning online, for example, lessens this relationship issue and makes thinsg seem more fair/objective?? Are we back to teaching machines then?!

Sancha

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Sandra,

I agree that giving clear information in advance as to expectations and what will and will not be required is very helpful for the learner and I also class under that umbrella being prepared to undertake the requirements of an online delivery environment – so guidelines as to what level of participation is expected, etc., as picked up by Grainne.    I think the requirements to remain engaged as well as balancing other events that may be on-going in one’s life has been addressed by both course convenors and other learners on the course where they specifically state that due to x or y pressure they are going to focus on only one activity.  Motivation is always very tricky which is why in retrospect I understand just how important Week 1 of what is your big question was and how on occasions we have been reminded to go back to this and let it be your guide when you are feeling snowed under, to enable a refocusing on activities to be undertaken that will lead to the big question possibly being answered.  As a learner in this environment I initially worried about being the first to put my thought out there, but I now see it as the beginning of/starting a conversation which as others contribute, tease out my understanding of the ideas and provide useful insights into how others have addressed issues and different viewpoints.

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Sandra and Sancha,

With regard to the power dynamics between learners-tutors, this can still be the case in f2f situation and there can be the fear that this will be carried into the online environment. However clear guidelines as to marking and marking criterias and when this is being applied should reduce that concern that mature students who have had a bad experience the first time round in the education system and current newbies tend to bring with them both in f2f and digital learning environment. Being explicit about failure (wrong) being part of the learning process removes the sting and releases the learner from that particular concern.  with  The suggested peer discussion by Grainne around a “controlled” exercise/activity is a good way early on to engage all participants so that a positive common experience is engendered and can be built on as the course progresses.

Hi All,

I’ve found this thread very interesting, so thank you to all.

With regards to good support, I’ve found the sharing of resources by other participants to be really helpful e.g. last week’s discussions on feedback and video feedback. Also, the open sharing of experiences has been very helful to support my understanding of the weekly topics.

I would echo Sandra @fieryred1’s posting that one of the downsides has to be finding the time to do this. As an adult working full-time, I don’t consider myself to be disorganised, but doing a fully online course seems to require a lot of time and effort. I find the webinars act as a welcome ‘prop’ to keep me in touch with the week’s content and a welcome addition to the blend.

Equally interesting was Sandra’s comment that discussion-based online learning can be challenging. I find this to be the case, too, and am glad that someone has brought this up! I know that people say that posting online is ‘liberating’ for the reticent, but I haven’t found this to be the case, yet. I am not sure whether this is because of the online part of the equation, or because of the fact that the discursive element is more free-flowing than writing an essay, which is what existed when I was a student. Any thoughts on this?

Rachel

Megan Kime

Thanks all for an interesting thread. I’m particularly interested in Sandra and Rachel’s comments about engaging in discussions online. It seems hard to tell whether the difficulty is with the discussion activity itself, or with the fact that it is online. I’d be interested to hear whether you think you’d feel the same hesitation about a discussion in person? Or is there something about having to write down your thoughts which makes it challenging? I run an online course which relies heavily on the use of discussion forums, and so I’m always looking for ways to help students engage.

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Megan – I think with regard to the online discussion it may be all of the factors you have raised but nor necessarily at once! What works for me is that I know I can return to the discussion several times if need be and pick up on others ideas as well as reflecting more on other’s response to my ideas.

Hi All,

I think it is a really interesting question as to why some people really take to posting online and why others find it more challenging. I liked Nancy’s metaphor in her webinar ( which I watched on recorded version, couldn’t join live, alas) where she said that some people love it and some find it like being in a fog. I would be interested in reading some more research on this, if anyone has anything to share?
    I agree with Elizabeth’s point that there are probably several things going on all at once. I like writing and always have done, so I don’t think that this is the cause of the problem for me, although I can see if you don’t like writing, it would be hard.
    I wonder if it is because this type of activity simply didn’t exist when I was at school / a student. This means that I am having to get used to it. I wonder if I equate study with reading, reflection and essay writing. Forum dicussions are much more quick-fire, and perhaps I am not so good at thinking quickly in this way.
    With regards to the question: so, what helps? I do find it helpful to sit and read first -preferably a book that I can sink my teeth into. Gilly Salmon’s ‘E-Moderating’ book has helped me this week. I also find that I must write it out first offline, only then can I proceed to posting. If this sounds long-winded – it is!
    Rachel

James Kerr
    Participant

I have found that for some topics, and in fact, different groups of learners, some respond much more positively to tutoring or support sessions online using synchronous chat and/or whiteboard tools.  The environment of brainstorming, peer response, and “instantaneous” communication seemed to be much more helpful than asynchronous discussion boards.

However, there are topics and learners for whom the discussion boards are a better fit.  Especially when the content requires more time to digest and develop, as many of my grad school classes have required.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The topic ‘Learner Support’ is closed to new replies.