This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Hapten and dentistry yes;paranoia no.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ZaynebMakki

I have seen one of hapten technology machines once in a demo arranged by Glasgow Dental School. Fascinating piece of technology and provides feedback immediatly and also what I call “sensory feedback”. Although I don’t use this in my teaching , I think it is very good for any studies in which students have to develop manual skills before actually going out into the real world.

The other video that I watched was the Helen Keegan ARG video. I thought that it was quite dangerous . No ethics? Learning through paranoia? I hate to think what might have happend if something had gone wrong. This type of teaching is not relevent at all to what I do.

Leonie

Hi Zayneb

The Haptel story was one of my favourites, maybe because it was just straightforward.

In this case the technology is being used to create a safe practice environment – it seemed a good example of Diana Laurillard’s “teacher-modelling cycle” where students learn via experimentation & repeated practice in a simulated environment which provides intrinsic feedback.

I also think this example is successful because of the high motivation of students. It works because the students are willing to practice over and over, and if it’s successful in improving the students’ manual skills it gives them confidence/self-efficacy which would encourage further effort in the course.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Hapten and dentistry yes;paranoia no.’ is closed to new replies.