This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Forum for Higher Learning Educational Designers

Home Forums Induction ("Week 0") Small group reflection (Activity 0.5) Forum for Higher Learning Educational Designers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

This forum is for people taking this course as part of their professional development in Higher Learning – Learning and Teaching, Teaching and Learning, Academic Skills Offices, Institution of Educational Development for Sustainability and Resource Curation of Principal Objectivity, and any other title for Educational Designers, Developers etc etc.

Sherrie Love

Thanks for starting the forum macquarieOllie. Look forward to getting this discussion under way with a few others in the ocTEL space.

Thanks Sherrie, you’re a good Friend.

Yeah, I’d be interested… Also an Ed Designer (Ed Developer in my case) and also working in Australia (Sydney) like you. See my post on that deluged mailing list or profile for more details… But essentially I work firmly on the ground in a Business School developing both eleaning and performing the act of educational design…

Andrew

Hi Andrew, are you happy using this space as a central communication area? It’d be good for chat and what not. However, I am open to ideas.

Sherrie Love

Hey Ollie and Andrew,

I’m happy for this to be our central place to communicate.

CheersSherrie

Yes, I’m quite fine using Forums… It gets way complicated on some other systems 🙂

Here is my first post for this unit. Have a look and let me know. Keen on any kind of feedback.

http://talktimesydney.com/ollie/2013/04/octel-where-moocs-and-moocs-differ/

MichaelRampe

Hi all,

This is a good mode for me as well.
    Ollie and Sherrie, we should alert our other colleagues to join this discussion.

Andrew, fancy seeing you here;-) I am at MQ now if you hadn’t heard.

Michael

I’m an Academic Skills Adviser at the Australian National University, so this forum looked relevant to me.

I’m feeling somewhat lost by all of this. This is my first MOOC. Having extricated myself from drowning in emails, I’m now drowning in blogs.

Perhaps most confusing for me is that I really have no idea what I’m supposed to be doing. Ollie, I read your post above, but I’m afraid I didn’t really understand its context: was it answering a question or just making an observation?

I was expecting to have some sort of reading to do, or some sense of a curriculum – or does this identify me as extremely old-school!!

At this stage all I can see is a MOSV (Massive Online Spontaneous Vomit) – is there a plan here and, if so, where might I find it?

Jack Bowers

Hi Jack, rest assured, we’re all in this together. Generally speaking, the content for the unit will be released weekly. Last weeks content was under ‘Course Materials‘ in the navigation bar. There are two components Guidance and Activities. Located in Course materials are resources for reading, watch and responding. Follow the guidance then move to the activities. I think this is the way it supposed to work. My post was to do with one of the responding questions surrounding engagement with MOOCs and any level. I hope this helps.

AnnaVerges

Dear Ollie, Sherrie, Andrew

I am interested in learning design in blended or fully online Higher Education settings. Woudl this be the right place for me? 🙂

Anna

Hi Anna, I believe this is the right place for you. Hopefully we can all contribute ideas in one way or another. I will be blogging about my thoughts, and posting links in the forum. I am happy to comment on someone else’s blog if they wish to do so too 🙂

I have just tried to participate in the webinar. I’m not sure if the technology failed, its user failed or I just got the time wrong – I came on at 10.30pm EST in Australia, expecting this would be 12.30pm in England.

Whatever happened, or was supposed to happened, I remained in the dark, unable to see anything, anyone or participate in anything… not a great start, I’m afraid.

So far, this process has been alienating and confusing. As someone who is skeptical of the benefit of the E in TEL, I’m afraid my prejudices have only been reinforced.

I’m keen to persist, but if it is really this difficult and inaccessible, then I’m not going to last much longer.

Hey Jack, that’s no good about the webinar. There should be a recording about it being posted soon. As usually happens in these kinds of scenarios. So you should be able to access the content soon. I don’t think i’ll try attending live webinars, as it is too difficult to find the time. Just part of the deal for anyone MOOC-ing across the world I guess.

Why are you sceptical of TEL, if you don’t mind my asking?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • The topic ‘Forum for Higher Learning Educational Designers’ is closed to new replies.