This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Finding and reviewing resources (Activity 4.0)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I searched for ‘report writing’ on the HEA Resource Centre and also on YouTube.  I quickly found great videos on YouTube which explained the topic really well.  It took much longer on the HEA Resource Centre to eventually find something useful.

The material could be used as a student resource through a link to the website.  There didn’t appear to be any access issues.

GrahamRGibbs

I recently asked a question about where people found electronic resources for their teaching when I surveyed HE teachers of qualitative social research methods. Of those who said they used electronic resources in their teaching, 84% – the biggest single group – used YouTube. There’s clearly some very good stuff there. I have used YouTube videos in my lectures and as supplementary resources for students learning research methods. Some made by others and some I’ve done myself. It helps when you find popular authors, such as Andy Field putting videos on YouTube.

If you are interested, the other results in the questionnaire are below. The question was, if you use third party/online resources in your teaching where do you get them from? (figures are percentages of those using resources)

Other courses on your Institution’s VLE (such as Blackboard): 

Your Libraries’ digital resources (such as e-Books): 

National educational repository (such as JORUM): 

Discipline specific website (such as OnlineQDA.hud.ac.uk): 

Corporate website: 

Another Institution’s website / VLE: 

MOOC / opencourseware (such as edShare): 

Open access repository (such as OpenLearn): 

iTunesU: 

YouTube: 

BUFVC: 

Box of Broadcasts: 

Flickr: 

Professional body website: 

HEA website: 

Other (please specify): 

JackieLamb

A wealth of resources – need to be careful that too much valuable time is not spent searching. Particularly like content on TED. Have usedyoutube a lot in my classroom – very good for Business Management. I am a secondary teacher so some of the resources are appropriate for Further Education studies.

JDermo

Graham,

Your survey of electronic resources certainly provided a very comprehensive list of places to find teaching resources. It was very interesting, (although perhaps not so surprising) that Youtube had such a huge share of the market. By any chance, could you share the percentage figures for some of the other sources? I would be interested to see how far behind some of the others are. Also, did you find that the “other (please specify)” category threw up any significant surprises?

GrahamRGibbs

John,

the figures after each source are the percentages. So the next most used was Your Libraries’ digital resources (such as e-Books) at 75% of those who said they used such resources in their teaching. Other popular ones were Other courses on your Institution’s VLE (such as Blackboard) at 55% and Professional body website: at 42%. (N.B. respondents could tick more than one source.) The ‘Other’ category was only 3 respondents and one of those mentioned a discipline specific resource which is on the HEA resources site and one mentioned materials they had themselves created. So nothing surprising there

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Graham – thanks for the survey result an interesting spread of sources, with the ususal suspects in play.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The topic ‘Finding and reviewing resources (Activity 4.0)’ is closed to new replies.