This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Evaluating resources: virtual patients

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    ZaynebMakki

I spent quite a long time going through the resource websites.  There is a tremendous amount of material for use at all levels of teaching. The resource that I found particularly relevant to my teaching is the use of the virtual patient.  Exploring the website for iEthics lead me to a website for virtual patients cases. Unfortunately, the dentistry cases did not work. However, I would not hesitate to use these in my teaching.   I also found a link to the use of virtual pathology slides. I use the virtual microscope in teaching pathology to dental students and have found this extremely useful.

How do I decide when a resource is worth adopting?
    When the content is relative to what I am teaching. The virtual medicine cases were very interesting but would have to be adapted to dentistry before I could use these.
    Also the website in question is another factor. Do I trust the website to offer me sound scientific information? YouTube for example is very easy to use and there is a large amount of material present that is relevant to teaching pathology. However, I would have to check these before recommending anything to my students.
    What criteria did I use to evaluate this resource?
    Scientific information present, intended learning outcomes for courses, validity of website, ease of use.
    What are the advantages and limitations of this resource?
    Advantages: Presenting information already learned in a new way that may meet various different learning methods. Presenting the students with real life situations that they may encounter in their clinical practice.  Instant feedback on incorrect decisions.
    Limitations: Financial restrictions as these may have to be hosted on commercial websites. May also be expensive to prepare.
    How could I incorporate this resource into my teaching?
    I already use a virtual environment in my teaching which is the virtual microscope. This includes a written case scenario for each slide with clinical images, radiographs and a quiz at the end.  The cases present on Open Labyrinth would also be an excellent method of teaching the subject starting from the clinical aspect of patient presentation , working its way through examination, radiographs,  tests,  ethics and pathology slides at the end with a multiple choice method of choosing the correct diagnosis. Instance feedback would also be provided for them in case of incorrect choices and the implications of these on patient care and management.
    How will this help my learners?
    Teaching in medicine and dentistry is centered on these case based methods to prepare the students for dealing with real life patients. It also provides them with the option to go back and change their choice to see what may happen with various different decisions.
    Are there any limitations to the use of this resource for my learners?
    I don’t think there are any at the moment apart from software availability. Even if students did not have access to internet at home, then there are computers available for them in different areas of the university from which they may access these cases either diierctly or via Moodle.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The topic ‘Evaluating resources: virtual patients’ is closed to new replies.