This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Don't forget tech support – a vital resource for supporting learners

Home Forums Supporting Learners with Tutor and Peer Communications (Week 7) Learner Support Experience (Activity 7.0) Don't forget tech support – a vital resource for supporting learners

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Niall Watts

Synchronous classes (in webinars for example) are in some ways more like the traditional classroom – at a fixed time, for a fixed length, with (usually) one teacher, raising hand for permission to speak.  However, they raise technical issues for both participants and presenters – getting microphones to work for example.  It helps to find a second moderator (not a teacher) who can deal with these technical issue while the teacher conducts the class.

Niall, I agree that the technical issues can be critical.  

In terms of the ocTEL course to date, what I found really helpful was that the readings and activities were well organised, available on time, relevant & interesting.
    Like many other participants, I’m trying to complete the course with many other calls on my time so have not been a very vocal member- however, the ability to view contributions is helpful.
    ·        I didn’t experience problems with the support from ocTEL.  I did however have technical problems at my own end which prevented me from participating in earlier Webinars.

Hi Niall

I think you hit on a key point here. It depends on the team behind the learning but on the whole, I think it helps to have a certain amount of technical know-how when facilitating technology enhanced learning. It is easier to troubleshoot if you have some knowledge of the technology and potential technical challenges learners might face. The online courses I have run with educators, have always been fully online and immersive to ensure participants have a first hand understanding of the kinds of technical challenges and ensuing frustrations that can arise. I think ensuring adequate time is provided at the start of a period of learning to check tools / systems, access to them and to just become familiar with the technologies being used is important.

imogenbertin

Good point Niall!

I work in technical support and I would say this is the vital missing link for a lot of people and one reason that blended learning generally gets better results than pure eLearning though I haven’t read enough of the methodology behind the main studies in that area to know if I’m correct there.

Does anyone know any way of making webinar recordings from Connect or Collaborate available without the use of Java? (Can they be uploaded to a private link on YouTube?)

I cannot view the webinar recordings from work which causes me major problems trying to do even the minimum on this course. I know from my work that the constant security issues and updates to Java are extremely frustrating for people too.

I think we really underestimate the basics – password problems, outdated browsers, Flash, people not backing up work and losing it – when we’re getting high falutin’ about eg online peer assessment.

I was disappointed to read somewhere during this course that one UK college had tried what I’ve always wondered might help – “we visit you” tech support for lecturers trying to use TEL and that it hadn’t taken off. My version of that was called “barefoot tech doctor” but I never managed to get enough support to try it. So then I did it freelance for people who were interested…

How to get the technical side of learner induction working online is definitely a big challenge…

SueFolley

Imogen – not sure about Collaborate, but with Adobe Connect you can download a webinar recording for viewing offline. I think it downloads in flash format (.flv).  Then you could upload it elsewhere. I think Collaborate is java based though – but if anyone knows different feel free to correct me :).

Sue

James Kerr
    Participant

How often do “interactive” webinars or synchronous classes become a lecture-delivery tool?  It seems to be a common occurrence, when allowing participant use of webcams and video takes too much class time to figure out, to simply disable it for participants.  Next to follow is audio and microphones.  Rather than fix the trouble, it is simply cut out.  Now, if anyone has a comment or question, they are directed to type it in the chat box. While this may meet the definition of interactive in the simplest sense, it by no means leads to a rich or satisfying experience.  Too often the rich features of the tools are abandoned because it is a hassle to configure, learn, or use them.

jimpettiward

I agree that simple tech support is often missing for this kind of elearning intervention and there are often the obstacles to adoption of technologies for teaching and learning are simpler than we might think…. I try to constantly remind myself not to assume very much knowledge in the people who’ll need to use the technology (not in a judgemental way, but just because most lecturers won’t have had as much time as I’ve had to get used to and experiment with the different technologies – this is part of MY job, but not necessarily theirs).

In terms of webinars, I agree with James that they are often pretty much a lecture-delivery tool. But even if all the features are enabled, they can be quite a challenging medium for sychronous voice communication – it’s interesting that in most of the MOOC webinars I’ve been present at, very few or no participants have been willing to contribute through voice, preferring the chat window – and that’s out of 50 – 100 participants who between them have vast experience of e-learning…..Maybe this reticence is more common in UK-based MOOC webinars? Maybe US-based MOOC folk are more chatty? Not sure…

Another thing I try to remember is not to ask lecturers to use online tools in ways I wouldn’t be comfortable with myself – so if I don’t really contribute vocally to webinars, can I really expect/ask others to do so?

ElizabethECharl
    Participant

Jim and James,

I have to say that I feel more comfortable using the chat window whilst the presenter is speaking as it is easier and less intrusive to type questions or ask for clarification from the moderators or other participants, without interrupting the flow of the presentation. Also as I am also located in an open plan office I really do not want to distrub others in the room and the chat window enables me to raise my questions without adversly disturbing others. I have attended US webinars and noted that there does appear to be more mic being used but even then there is still a preponderant use of the chat window. I supposed it may depend on the type of presentation and how many people are logged on. The Nancy White presentation I used both the chat window and the mic for that one. So all in all I would say that it depends on the individual, the presenter, the topic being discussed and whether the participant is in a office by themself or an open plan.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The topic ‘Don't forget tech support – a vital resource for supporting learners’ is closed to new replies.