This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Closed LMS/VLE

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    James Kerr
    Participant

First of all:  Learning Management System/Course Management System/Virtual Learning Environment all the same for this post.

The LMS we use at my University is a closed system, based on Desire2Learn.  It works well and provides the majority of the required tools for the majority of the coursework that needs it.  However, it is a closed system, and once openness or access from non-enrolled students is desired, then it falls flat.

Guest account access can be requested and granted, but that’s a hassle, and not really in the true spirit of “open”.  It does have limited ability to interface with (through embedding) outside resources, so for example, WordPress or Google Docs can be linked, but unless the sharing is enabled from outside our system, it’s still closed tight.  Our university uses other platforms for its MOOC offerings and acknowledges that our LMS is not going to be applicable for 100% of our needs.

Most of the use of our LMS, however, probably falls into a narrow band of commonly used tools and resources, and parts of it are underutilized. It can do some pretty amazing stuff, we just need to promote it better and design to its strengths and abilities better.

Is the LMS closed because that’s just how it is, or is it the way it has been configured at your institution?

You referred to  linking to WordPress or Google Docs – is this your way of trying to get round the issues of openness?

James Kerr
    Participant

Hayley,

It’s a commercial, closed platform, first of all, but our institution keeps it as a closed resource, only available from within.  It’s not open to the public, so it’s not open in that sense, nor is it open in the sense that we have access to source code and can freely modify any part of it.

When we want or need activities to be open, in terms of access or freedom, we turn to alternatives, such as WP or others.  We also turn to alternatives when the tools within the LMS are too restrictive or limiting in their functionality.

philtubman
    Participant

I’ve come across LTI http://www.imsglobal.org/toolsinteroperability2.cfm recently which is great for using external tools within our lms, which is moodle. i’m glad we use an open source lms because it gives us options to connect it in ways that commercial platforms cannot (we link it to the student info system using web services which creates and admins assignments through the records system, which is cool. we have also linked it with our PG admissions ‘portal’, so applicants get to see some ‘webboards’, which are basically moodle sites specifically designed for them.)

Back on LTI, I do wish the standard would move forward quicker. There are some unofficial extensions such as being able to send grades back and forth, and auto-enrol all students in the LTI provider platform, so assessments peer assessments etc. can be set up in advance.

all pretty cool stuff for edu-geeks like myself. I agree that we could do with engaging more with our academics as most will just use docs, ppts, the odd unmoderated or e-tivit’ed forum.. there are some exceptions though, and most of the most radical affordances that vles provide require significant changes in mindset for most tutors. perhaps just more hand holding then…

like most tutors would not be able to co-ordinate a peer assessed assignment or know how to make the most of it and having ‘ownership’ over the teaching techniques leads to the best teaching, with or without technology…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The topic ‘Closed LMS/VLE’ is closed to new replies.