This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Case study 7: Facilitating peer- and self-assessment

Home Forums Timely, Effective Assessment and Feedback (Week 6) Evaluation and review (Activity 6.2) Case study 7: Facilitating peer- and self-assessment

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    James Kerr
    Participant

This case study illustrates an example of using situated learning to develop social constructivist skills.  The situated learning is the process of using and encouraging peer assessment through the WebPA system; the social constructivist learning skills being developed are the peer assessments.  I find this learning situation interesting, using one learning technique to teach another.  It could also be cognitive apprenticeship, as the thought processes for providing effective peer assessment are being demonstrated and repeated.  The instructor models how to give effective feedback by providing effective feedback to the students on their own assessments.

Facilitating self-monitoring and self-regulation can also be accomplished using checklists, progress lists, deadlines, and calendars.  However, these tools are more focused on the individual, rather than peer-involved skills.

Yes, peer assessment/review is a powerful way of promoting deeper engagement with the topic and for encouraging students to reflect on their own performance. I also think it’s an approach we could be using more with novice teachers as part of PGCE programmes as it can be a valuable experience for lecturers to be put in the position of giving and receiving constructive feedback in this way, and gaining an insight into how the students might feel about it.

If anyone is doing this, either using WebPA or any other TEL approach, I’d be very interested to hear about it.

Linda

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The topic ‘Case study 7: Facilitating peer- and self-assessment’ is closed to new replies.