This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Are we typical according to SurveyMonkey?

Home Forums Engaging and Effective Learning Materials (Week 4) Are we typical according to SurveyMonkey?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    PeterHartley

We have not had all that many responses to the SurveyMonkey survey for week 4 so we will keep it open to see if we can achieve a bigger response. It has only 6 questions and should take less than 5 minutes to complete at:
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/JFX9KG3
    So are we a typical group of HE staff?
    The survey results so far indicate that we:

Are mainly interested in education (over 50%) and then Business/Management (22%) and then a spread of other subjects but no Engineers or Mathematicians (from Question 1)
    Only make occasional use of resource banks like Jorum and none of us see them as ‘essential’ (Q2)
    Have mixed experience of MOOCs with many of us having no previous experience (42%) but only Coursera has seen many users (27%) (Q3)
    Have used OER occasionally (19%) or are aware of them but not yet used them (31%). Only 11% of us have used them to make significant changes to our teaching while 19% have not used them and do not know much about them. (Q4)
    Have not used Creative Commons (38%). For those who have the most common option is Attribution (CC BY) (Q5)
    Are very disparate in our use of tools. We do not use any of the tools we listed ‘all of the time’. Only one tool got more than a single response here – videocasts – but they are also one of the least used overall. The most popular tools in regular use are screencasts (35%) and mind maps (31%); the least used at the moment are GloMaker (88% never used), Xerte (68%), concept maps (69%), screencasts (42%), mind maps (38%) and videocasts (36%).

So are we typical? Discuss, as they say.

Best wishes
    Peter Hartley

PeterHartley

The text above had bullets to separate the responses to each question until I hit the submit button so here they are again to make them more readable:

We are mainly interested in education (over 50%) and then Business/Management (22%) and then a spread of other subjects but no Engineers or Mathematicians (from Question 1) 

We only make occasional use of resource banks like Jorum and none of us see them as ‘essential’ (Q2) 

We have mixed experience of MOOCs with many of us having no previous experience (42%) but only Coursera has seen many users (27%) (Q3) 

We have used OER occasionally (19%) or are aware of them but not yet used them (31%). Only 11% of us have used them to make significant changes to our teaching while 19% have not used them and do not know much about them. (Q4) 

We have not used Creative Commons (38%). For those who have the most common option is Attribution (CC BY) (Q5) 

We are very disparate in our use of tools. We do not use any of the tools we listed ‘all of the time’. Only one tool got more than a single response here – videocasts – but they are also one of the least used overall. The most popular tools in regular use are screencasts (35%) and mind maps (31%); the least used at the moment are GloMaker (88% never used), Xerte (68%), concept maps (69%), screencasts (42%), mind maps (38%) and videocasts (36%). (Q6)

Now please discuss!

Peter

imogenbertin

I’m not typical. I worked producing educational books for a good few years and I am very comfortable with the intellectual and creative effort of producing my own materials but… this also means I guard my time very closely because there are an awful lot of tools out there that aren’t particularly productive and take a long time to learn… Creating resources is time consuming of itself without the overhead of cumbersome tools…

I’m doing this course to “join the dots”. Despite doing a PGCert, I didn’t really understand why I do some of the things I do with technology in classes (except that some of them seemed to work…) and I wasn’t quite sure how to try to fix some of the things that don’t work (mainly around group-work which I think is much harder online). So I’m finding great value both in looking again at what resources and tools are available, and understanding more from the experience of others who teach with technology.

I have used most of the tools, but I am taking a gander at GloMaker and Xerte which I haven’t used this week, and am currently discouraged by the learning curve there. I think I am more likely to put effort into learning Articulate (there’s a JISC online workshop on Instructional Design using the demo version of Articulate on 21 May cost £140  http://www.netskills.ac.uk/content/products/workshops/event/online-may13-onidelr-r1/index.html ) because it’s more mainstream. I’ve also been doing the iTunesU Course Manager webinars ( http://euro.edu.apple.kuluvalley.com/event?eid=event3&lc=EN&cc=UK – don’t be put off by the “marketing” intro as there is lots of good stuff from the OU there… )

Minor quibble. I’m not sure that most people can distinguish between mindmaps and concept maps. Does anyone have a concise way of explaining it?

Best wishes all

Imogen

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Are we typical according to SurveyMonkey?’ is closed to new replies.