This is an archive of the 2013 version of ocTEL.

Advice for ocTEL 2.0?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

During yesterday’s webinar there was also some lively discussion about how future versions of ocTEL might be improved. Suggestions included considering the timing: in terms of duration, when webinars are placed in the week, and potentially including a half-term or reading week. There was discussion about how to make better use of small groups, the value of reflective comments from tutors and whether different levels of ocTEL could be offered (e.g. basic, intermediate and advanced).

What would be your advice?

Also, please do take the time to provide your feedback on any and all aspects of the course, including its platform, delivery, content and format via the ocTEL experiences and outcomes evaluation.

Thanks!

Rachel

imogenbertin

Post the webinar recordings faster Rachel. I still can’t finally complete the course because the webinar you are mentioning is not available to view as a recording… and I want that input (what others said in the webinar) before making my feedback and evaluation.

This has frustrated me throughout the course as I try to carve out time and then can’t use the timeslot because no recording available. But I absolutely appreciate the incredible hard work of the volunteer team so I’m not giving out, I’m just saying it is important to post the recordings fast otherwise the feeling of “cohort” is lost because everyone’s not considering/posting on the same issues a the same time.

More info when I’ve seen it… 🙂

Imogen

Doug Gowan

ocTEL contains a mass of useful stuff, now added to by the contributions of participants. But perhaps the course is too big and too compressed. We could easily for example spend five weeks on designing engaging learning activities, allowing people to try out different examples and produce their own. So one approach for ocTEL 2.0 might be to break it into several modules. The modules might then be offered simultaneously or in series with gaps in between.

The course structure is also perhaps over complex, with a large number of activities in each unit and a variety of ways of responding to each activity. I favour an approach based on a core activity for each unit with optional follow up.  I also favour a required method of responding, whether it be a forum or blog post, again with optional add-ons such as twitter/google+

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The topic ‘Advice for ocTEL 2.0?’ is closed to new replies.