Reflection on Learning Approaches in #ocTEL

Home Forums Understanding Learners and Learning (Week 2) TEL One: Approaches to learning Reflection on Learning Approaches in #ocTEL

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of sue.bebbington sue.bebbington 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of podling
    podling
    Participant

I decided to reflect on how I am approaching learning on this course. See blog post: http://kdolman.wordpress.com/2014/05/14/moocing-around-again/ for my thoughts on how am approaching this course.

Profile photo of Gary Vear
    Gary Vear
    Participant

Good post. I too am interested in utilising social media in teaching and learning, hoping to hear some success stories next week.

I think most of us would admit to being strategic learners for the same reasons you mention in your blog, I know I feel the same.

Profile photo of podling
      podling
      Participant

Hi Gary

I thought I might be the only one who opted for these strategies as I am a very active learner and I like doing things! Good to know I’m not on my own…

Profile photo of c.collis
    c.collis
    Participant

Hello Karen. Good post. As I’ve noted in my blog post on this topic, I think being a strategic ocTEL learner is a good thing: It’s crucial to have a focus for our learning here, and to use ocTEL to work strategically towards it, or else the content is just too overwhelming and incoherent.  Certainly there’s deep learning going on along the way as well, but it’s occurring as I work towards a strategic outcome (improved TEL use in my department, hopefully leading to improved student experience scores for us and improved learning outcomes for students).

Profile photo of sue.bebbington
    sue.bebbington
    Participant

Thanks Karen (podling) for sharing your ocTEL strategies. I too am very time poor at present and am using both the surface and strategic learning styles in order to get something positive out of the time available.

Thank to C.Collis for the first paragraph in particular of your blog http://chcoll.wordpress.com/2014/05/12/octel-activity-week-2-approaches-to-learning/

While it is “generally accepted” that “deep learning is the ideal,” I think that this ideal needs to be considered before we all tailor all of our teaching efforts towards achieving this type of learning and learner.”

I think that the ‘ideal’ should surely depend on the context, the content, the age and stage of the learner and so on. ‘Deep’ learning is certainly what I would want my medical professionals to have whereas passengers on an aircraft manage successfully with ‘surface’ learning of the safety brochure.

I come from the technology side – I was a computer programmer and came upon e-learning from the multimedia programmer direction. It’s only since starting this ocTEL journey that I’ve realised that the e in e-learning can mean more than just ‘electronic’! I may be a bit slow, but I prefer to think I wasn’t ready for that nugget of wisdom until now.

Just from Table 1.1 Defining features of approaches to learning, I have learned that different learning styles are ok, I don’t have to feel guilty because I am not able to employ the ‘deep’ learning style at the moment, nor should learners be penalised or judged because of their learning style. It’s also made me aware that there will be different situations within one course where each of those styles will be appropriate or required, such as taking a quiz compared to writing a full essay, and that these should all factored into the design of a course.

Before starting this ocTEL course I knew I wanted to learn more about the education side of education technology. . . I had no idea how much there is to learn.

The topic ‘Reflection on Learning Approaches in #ocTEL’ is closed to new replies.