Learner diversity in immersive environments

Home Forums Understanding Learners and Learning (Week 2) Learner Diversity (Activity 2.2) Learner diversity in immersive environments

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  ed3d (Peter) 5 years, 2 months ago.

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_search() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_fields() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_request() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286
  • Author

ed3d (Peter)
    Participant

First thoughts for 2.2 Learner Diversity, looking at design decisions in OpenSim that assist disabled students among others. http://longposts.com/30348232

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by  ed3d (Peter).

A great start to the discussion on learner diversity in immersive environments. It would be interesting to note how some of the other immersive environments as well as OpenSim meet some or all of the design decisions points that you have listed.

ed3d (Peter)
    Participant

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_search() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_where() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_fields() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

Warning: Parameter 2 to SyndicationDataQueries::posts_request() expected to be a reference, value given in /home/octel/wordpress-4.0.1/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286

That’s a very interesting question. OpenSim had its origins in Second Life which, for all its issues, had a strong commitment to accessibility from the education community and several projects addressed it in terms of special viewers etc albeit that many of these initiatives now appear stalled. Clearly I am attempting to negotiate my way round accessibility in OpenSim in a far more simplistic fashion but I do feel that it is proving a useful exercise in both a specific and more general sense.

The platform attracting most attention at the moment is probably Unity3D. Shailey Minocha at the UK Open University, for example, has a project based on a single-user virtual fieldtrip to Skiddaw (URL to conference preso appended) that was developed on this platform. It would be interesting to know how they dealt with accessibility as an issue, not least because of the cross-platform capability of Unity3D. A quick web search shows that people are asking how they make use of the accessibility options in iOS, for example, but there are a dearth of answers although I could be looking in the wrong place.

TechDis is normally a good place to start but again there’s little there beyond (useful) general guidance although they did fund a series of projects under the HEAT initiative a few years ago. Surprisingly the recently released Jisc Digital Games in Learning infokit has very little to say about accessibility so far as I could see.

http://oro.open.ac.uk/39527/1/Skiddaw%2BTrailer%2BExternal.pdf

http://www.jisctechdis.ac.uk/

http://www.jiscdigitalmedia.ac.uk/infokit/games/games-home

KeithSmyth
    Keymaster

Hi Peter

Many thanks indeed for kicking things off for our Activity 2.2 discussion. I’m looking forward to reading your post then coming back to you asap!

Keith

ed3d (Peter)
      Participant

No problem, Keith. It’s a busy time for many and a lot of the ocTEL activity/networking seems to be happening in groups and on Twitter rather than here.  I also appreciate that this immersive stuff isn’t mainstream for many. On the other hand I think it’s useful for people to be aware that OpenSim is a viable alternative to SL and that accessibility options exist but are maybe most usefully factored in at the design stage. It has been useful for me to think a little more strategically in that regard as well.

Even if one doesn’t have the luxury of being able to think ahead, the fact that much of the viewer interface is encoded in human-readable xml files means that special purpose editions/”skins” can be crafted as required. It would be nice to have a tool to do that but it’s not so hard doing it by hand. Thus far I’ve only been removing or modifying unwanted menu options and modifying the Help hyperlinks. Other stuff (modifying fonts, dialogs) is very likely possible but adding functionality is still rocket science. That said, some of the latest viewers support the Oculus Rift, Kinect and Xbox 360 controller which is fairly bleeding edge!

KeithSmyth
    Keymaster

Hi Peter

Many thanks for sharing your blog post and your follow-up comments. I’ve made some use of Second Life for learning and teaching activities in the past but not OpenSim, and now I feel at least a little more informed both generally and in relation to making immersive virtual world environments more accessible. As you point out in your blog, accessible practice is usually good practice for all and the tips and guidance you’ve provided cover key design considerations for us.

In addition to your work and experience around the accessible design of immersive environments, I was wondering if you are also involved in the use of SL and OpenSim in providing learning opportunities specifically for learners with disabilities. I’m no expert by any stretch but am aware of some work that has involved using environments like SL and OpenSim to provide learners on the autistic spectrum with the opportunity to develop or further develop particular skills. I’ve also come across some work focused on using immersive virtual worlds as spaces to challenge and confront assumptions around disability, as well as providing more inclusive educational opportunities for learners that have been disadvantaged through factors other than disability.

The briefing paper below, from the TEL research programme in the UK, has a couple of nice examples:

What next for digital inclusion? The latest research on how technology can help everyone learn.

http://tel.ioe.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/DigitalInclusion.pdf

Very best

Keith

ed3d (Peter)
      Participant

Thanks for that, Keith. I hadn’t heard of Inter-Life before doing ocTEL so that was interesting. I’m not directly involved in using OpenSim with learners with disabilities but was aware of the positive reports regarding students on the autistic spectrum. I came across the following SL presentation earlier this week. It goes into accessibility in considerably greater depth than my blog:

http://aquarobo.com/abyss/11thMIWoSE_VirtualAbility.pdf

The topic ‘Learner diversity in immersive environments’ is closed to new replies.