Explorer activity 1.5: Are you ready for online learning?

Home Forums Concepts and strategies (Week 1) Week 1 TEL Explorer Explorer activity 1.5: Are you ready for online learning?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lynne.burroughs 4 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Louise
    Participant

Having a look at the 3 questionnaires ( the first one would not display in my browser) – the common themes are:
    1. Need – what are you doing the course for?
    2. Access to IT/internet etc…
    3. Willingness to participate/submit on time etc …
    4. Skill/understanding level and technical knowledge
    5. Motivation
    6. Ability to work away from others in f2f environment
    7. Time management

I think they are potentially very useful to ascertain who your delegates are on the course and what they might be able to do. Your course needs to be designed with every learning style and ability in mind. Having said that – if the answers come back that a person is obviously not willing to learn in this way/demotivated and does not have the skill level to be able to access and navigate the course then perhaps that individual can be persuaded that this type of course may not be the right thing for them at this moment.
    You are very dependant on the form-filler being honest about their ability. This data can inform the design and content of your course; designing a clear progression path through with clear aims and learning outcomes. The information offered in advance about the course should also serve to clarify what kind of course it is and what nature of study and interaction will be required by the participant before they start. Manage expectations!
    I haven’t actually used something like this with my own students but in the context of assessing the digital literacy of our learners then something of this nature would be invaluable to see what skills they have and how we can help them develop the skills they require.

glenn
    Participant

Hello Louise, I agree that the tools can be used to ascertin learners needs but feel they are limited without “follow up” or practice platforms for those that are new or limited in their exposure to online learning.

I too have commented on the tools on my blog here: http://gsoctel.wordpress.com/2014/05/07/week-1-explorer-activity-1-5-are-you-ready-for-online-learning/

The balance of informing without overwhelming/putting off potential learners can be a difficult tightrope to traverse. Whilst there is a need for some means for the learner to ensure they have the necessary skills or equipment to enable them to actively participate and complete the course, getting the tone right and how much information is given is a delicate balance. Also these need to feel like personal advice is being given for the user to remain engaged and take any follow up action that might be required. What we do not want is a learner giving up because of skills gap or equipment issues that if they had been flagged up/addressed earlier need not have become a barrier. Thanks for contributing those two others examples. I agree that the key element of such preparedness tool is the follow up advice that is presented. As you also appear to provide some tailored/personalised responses to your prospective learners I wondered whether you had come across the one produced by Helen Beetham that has the follow up element built in. I believe it is available under creative commons licence and it is possible to make changes to it.

lynne.burroughs
      Participant

I agree with the issues that have been raised in the discussions but I think the quizzes may help some students to think about the skills they need to undertake an online course. My Blog post is at http://learntechlynne.wordpress.com/2014/06/19/back-to-the-start-week-1-activity-1-5-are-you-ready-for-online-learning/

ilearninguk
    Participant

My posts on this topic can be found on my blog.

I feel that the self-diagnosis tools I reviewed are a minefield of miscommunication potential as there is no expectation set up for people to benchmark themselves against. My level of expectation of “computer literate” is very different to another persons and without one knowing the others expectation, how can you measure your achievement of the competency?

http://www.ilearninguk.com/archives/112

http://www.ilearninguk.com/archives/114

Joel

Louise
      Participant

Agreed that the generic response from the survey provides on your blog is not helpful in identifying what you are measuring against nor what specfic areas it considers you deficient and therefore what you need to do to increase your level of ‘literacy’. It doesn’t address specific needs at all. Provided the questions are worded correctly it might provide a fair impression of a person’s level of experience with technology.

Yes people’s level of exectation and understanding of computer literacy are different – that is why I suggest that the benchmark competency is explained upfront before people do the survey. You need to be able to do this and this as part of the course….

The question is what do you do with the information. Do you stop people doing the course if they haven’t used a PC before?

ilearninguk – How would you assess potential particpant’s digital literacy then and identify and address shortcomings?  Perhaps use some sort of training platforms as Glenn mentions?

Does it matter? Does it depend on the course? If it’s an open MOOC type course then is the onus on the particpant to make sure they can keep up – or if it is an online degree then perhaps the onus is on the provider to make sure the participant will be able to cope with it?

The topic ‘Explorer activity 1.5: Are you ready for online learning?’ is closed to new replies.