Combination of all

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  worldexpos 6 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

stuartryan9
    Participant

I think what we are missing here (and excuse me if it is mentioned) is motivation for people to learn. I think we have to answer 1 question:

Is the task I need to complete too hard and in that case can I assimulate some new skills to achieve said task?

I think what then follows, especially since the introduction of online learning, is a combination of all of the approaches to learning.

The trick I believe is to then raise the relevance. If people don’t think it’s relevant they will adopt a surface approach and perhaps the Strategic, I consider my situation and see people saying the “buzzword” to earn brownie points. When something is relevant to an learner I think at that point you will achieve a deeper approach to learning.

Personally, it doesn’t matter if people that take a surface approach to learning are face-to-face or online, it has to be down to the relevance and situation that the learner is in.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  stuartryan9.

Moira Maley
    Participant

Agree very much with this thread by @<span class=”Apple-style-span” style=”color: rgb(136, 136, 136); font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 12px; line-height: 22px; “>stuartryan9 and @</span><span class=”Apple-style-span” style=”color: rgb(170, 170, 170); font-family: Arial, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif; font-size: 11px; line-height: 22px; “>jojacob_uk.</span>

I work amongst graduate students in a vocational like course where the students are in small groups very dispersed in long term placements. They have the influences of local mentor / role modelling, being away from home, high personal visibility.

Over time their learning environment, particularly the high visibility and expectations of engagement, seems to affect their native learning approach.  I think I have observed that it pushes surface learners at least into some more strategic learning.  Strategic learners also do more deep learning as a result of peer pressure / role model influences.

This is really an ideal learning situation as the life upheaval means they have altered norms just to live and so adopting their learning approach as needed in their study follows more easily.  This experiential learning tends to be a powerful lever.

We are able to slide in different online learning practices which bring other benefits to these displaced students and so are accepted as norms.  These same practices are engaged in by their mentors also.

worldexpos
    Participant

Seems any online tool which will enable discussion and exchange between individuals, like a discussion board, a chat, a wiki, a blog, is a way to encourage ‘deep learning’ in online contexts.

Indeed the discursive process requires an individual, not only – but necessarily – to organise the information and their knowledge and a topic.

Discussion also needs a fair amount of reproduction in the memorisation of facts and skills, and utimately entails that an individual understands ideas for themselves.

jojacob_uk
    Participant

In my own experience as an online learner, I think I tend to take a combination of deep and strategic learning approaches.  Some of this depends on how much time I have – if I am pushed for time then I will prioritise strategic learning but if I have the luxury of leisure then I tend to want to get to grips the subject properly for myself.

My behaviour is then different under different circumstances.  When I am prioritising deep learning I will read around the subject, get more involved in discussion forums, bookmark and curate interesting links, work through relevant frameworks by trying to apply them to my own context, critique and try to come up with my own ideas.  When I have less time and am taking a strategic approach, i will actively prioritise what I need to do to make sure I do everything necessary to do well, and leave the extraneous activities for later.

As a trainer, I often find that groups will have people with very different approaches to learning. Some want to do the bare minimum to satisfy their employers or their jobcentres (whoever has mandated them to attend the programme), while some want to really get into the subject.  Surface learners get fed up with the deep learners who want more discussion and ask more in depth questions  – the people who take a surface learning approach just want to move on as quickly as possible and hope for an early finish.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by  jojacob_uk.

The topic ‘Combination of all’ is closed to new replies.